Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience:  M.D.

My left upper arm hurts and is weak. I cannot raise my arm

My left upper arm hurts and is weak. I cannot raise my arm all the way up. It has been this way for 7 months. I stopped using my left arm for most things months ago and the pain lessened a little. I am left handed. it also hurts in the shoulder, but not at the joint itself. just muscles. I take simvastatin. What is causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-
1.What are the aggravating or relieving factors for this pain?
2.Is there any limittion of over head movements at the shoulder & also limitation at rotation movements at the shoulder?
3.Do you have diabetes or other problems?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1. It hurts more at night and everytime I use it. Keeping it warm helps so I usuallu sleep on my left side.

2. I can only lift the arm so that the upper arm is parallel to my body. I cannot rotate backwards.

3. I do not have diabetes, but take metformin for insulin resistance. I also have a BMI of 48. It started when I was using my left arm to lift me from a chair or bed, but have not done so for about 5 months and yet it still hurts. It hurts from the shoulder to my elbow, and on the back of the shoulder.

Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for information.

By looking at the all details it looks that you may be having adhesive capsulitis shoulder.In this there is inflammation of capsule of the shoulder joint with limitation of stretchability of capsule or covering of the joint.You should do following to have relief-

1.Avoid any excessive weight bearing on the shoulder or affected limb.

2.Start taking a good analgesic with anti inflammatory activity like aleeve or a combination of tramadol with paracetamol will be effective in relieving the pain.

3.You should consult to your doctor .He may give you local intra articular steroid injection which will relieve the inflammation & pain.

4.Continue to have warm fomentation with warm packs over the shoulder .you may also consult to your physiotherapist who may teach you different exercises like PENDULUM EXERCISES to maintain the range of motion & flexibility at & around the shoulder.

Hope all this will help you.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why does this cause pain and muscle weakness down to the elbow? Is this a joint problem? Is this related to arthritis?
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 6 years ago.
The muscle weakness & pain is due to disuse atrophy of the muscles at the arm below the shoulder & also due to stimulation of sympathetic nerve which are bearing same supply with shoulder joint.

This is not an arthritis or permanent joint problem.It does generally go away with treatment & sometimes without treatment in total nine months.