Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

i am having a pain in left side of the head with a tightening

Customer Question

i am having a pain in left side of the head with a tightening feeling. left nostril is bleeding quite often. CT PNS is clear. BP is 103/71. sever gas and acidity problem persists. i want to know the cause of bleeding and headaches...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question,

Is there any bleeding from any other site ?

since when this problem started ?

have you done some blood tests ?

any previous medical illness ?

any medicine you take ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No bleeding from any other side but as such when blood from the nose goes to the throat it comes out with some phlem. the bleeding started in january 2010 - have had occurance 3 times so far. yes have done blood test - hb 12.5, total wbc 8200, dc : neutrofils 60%, eosinophils 01%, lymphosites 36%, monosytes 03%. ESR 1st hr 32mm, sugar random 91mg%. only suffer from cold and headaches. had epilepsy at age of 10 and took med for 5 years and no reoccurance ever since. i take panadol sos for the pain in my head which is like more of a tightening feeling which comes into half side of my face - this gets releived once the blood flows out. in general the dr.s have identified a nasal deviance as cause for my sinus.

Thank you for your input,

Most common causes of nasal bleeding are sinusitis, allergy, cold, deviated nasal septum.

As you have deviated nasal septum which is most likely resulting in your sinusitis so most likely cause in your case is deviated nasal septum, headaches are most likely due to reoccuring/repeated sinus infections due to deviated septum.

Your problem can be managed by an evaluation by an ENT doctor initially you should take decongestants, anti allergics, nasal cortisone sprays and if symptoms are not controlled you may require septoplasty.

removing the cause of this bleeding which in your case is most likely due to deviated nasal septum is the most appropriate way to treat this condition.

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 3/1/2010 at 9:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if so as per your reply - then why does the ct PNS scan show - normal reading?

Thank you for your input,

CT PNS can be normal in mild sinus infections, as you have headache, post nasal drip and nasal bleeding so you need to treat your deviated septum to prevent the recurrent attacks.

I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the tightness in the left side of my head alternates with a pain in my throat in the right side of my throat....why??? how is it related? also what is septoplasty and the procedure for it?

Thank you for your input,

These symptoms can occur when sinuses on both sides are effected along with throat problems due to post nasal drip.

For some details on this procedure see this web address

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/deviated-septum/DS00977/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 3/1/2010 at 10:04 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i also have severe gas problem and acidity..what is the cause? what precautions can i take??mostly everything i eat causes severe gases and acidity.

Thank you for your input,

If this problem started with the nasal problem then it can be due to blood and secreation seeping in to the stomach from nose, this can also give rise to symptoms like stomach cramps and pain. Once the nose problem goes away stomach problem will recover.

you can also take acid suppressants to help with stomach acidity.

If there is abdominal bloating, gas, mucus in the stools then this problem is due to irritable bowel syndrome and can be helped with fiber supplements like metamucil and citrucel .

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 3/1/2010 at 10:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you suggest the nasal deviation problem to be settled as soon as possible?can i wait for a few months?

Thank you for your input,

you initially have to start medicine like decongesants, anti allergics as in many cases if this problem settles. If this problem becomes worse or you develop bleeding more frequently like once every week then you have to refer for surgery asap.

I hope this answers your question.