Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Can you have surgury just for pannus removal and not the whole

Can you have surgury just for pannus removal and not the whole tummy tuck busness without being disfigured?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Yes, it is sometimes necessary to remove pannus alone without tummy tuck to facilitate weight loss. The procedure whereby only the pannus is removed without tummy tuck is called Panniculectomy surgery. This surgical procedure focuses on reconstruction to remove pannus or abdominal apron. In general, the presence of excess pannus can
inhibit or reduce exercise efficiency, and in that case, your doctor can recommend that you have panniculectomy. However, when you are able to lose weight without removing the pannus, it is preferred. However, you will need to perform tummy tuck at the end after you reach your desired weight. So, early removal of pannus will usually require tummy tuck at a later date in order to remove excess loose skin which resulted from the weight loss. So, I suggest that you consider tummy tuck with your doctor to help relief the back pain and also remove the excess skin.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.