EKwanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Over 8 years experience as a board certified family physician, caring for all ages

A small pea sized hard lump on the tip of my nose. What could

A small pea sized hard lump on the tip of my nose. What could it be? It does not hurt and has been there for about 1 year
Category: Medical
Expert:  EKwanMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Could I ask you some questions? What color is this lump? Of what ethnicity are you and where do you live? Can you describe it (shiny, smooth, bumpy, rough)? Have you had any skin cancers in the past?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is not discolored - blends in with my skin and most people don't notice it unless they are specifically looking because I tell them of it - but you can see it if you look, just as a raised bump. It is under the skin - does not seem to be the skin itself. It does look a little shiny but I feel like that is just because it is pushing the skin out somewhat. It feels smooth - actually like a small hard ball. I am a white female and live in Ohio. No, I have not had any skin cancer and have a very clear complextion.
Expert:  EKwanMD replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. There are several things to consider when you have something on your face (due to sun exposure). If it has not changed significantly in the past year you have had it, it is possible that this is a benign subcutaneous (under the skin) cyst, or mole (that can be flesh colored). Since it is a new lesion and it is on an area of the skin which is exposed to the sun, you should have a doctor (your family doctor or dermatologist) take a look at it just to make sure it is not basal cell cancer. This grows very slowly, often is on the face, and can be flesh-colored, smooth and shiny. It is not an emergency but should be checked in the next few weeks just so you can be sure. If it is a basal cell cancer, removal of the lesion is curative. I hope this helps advise is helpful to you. Take care.