Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

What happens if I have a seizure when Im alone

Customer Question

What happens if I have a seizure when I'm alone? I've had 2 within the last 3 weeks. Both happened when my boyfriend was around. Now I'm afraid of having another one when I'm alone. I'm by myself the majority of the day. I have no official diagnosis as I'm still waiting for my test results to come back.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.
Well, it's impossible to predict the future -- but often times, the seizure activity itself is temporary, and causes you to go unconsious and then leave you groggy for a period of time afterwards.

If you are having sudden seizure activity -- this could put you at danger from injury like falling down the stairs -- falling from standing and hitting your head -- choking on food, etc.

So that has the potential for danger.

So certainly -- if you are feeling funny -- get into a safe and comfortable area quickly, in case you do have another seizure. Most importantly here -- is that you need to followup with your doctor about these -- since if you have had 2 seizures, they should be evaluating this and considering antiseizure medications for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for such a great answer! It made me want a little more information and then I'll "accept".

I have seen a neurologist and had an EEG yesterday. I go back next week for a follow-up. They haven't put me on any medication yet.

My main concern is this. Since I've already had 2, I have a pretty good idea about how I'll feel if it's about to happen. If it were to happen when I'm alone (and I've already gotten in a comfortable position), if there is nobody to help (for instance, my boyfriend rolled me on my side both times) is there a chance I could choke/suffocate? I hate even thinking about the thought that I may die if I'm alone, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew that there was a small chance that would happen.

Again, thank you so much for your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.
Well, there is always the chance you could choke or suffocate, but that is an unlikely scenario (unless you still have something in your mouth, or vomit during your seizure). But that is not common.

99% of the time with these seizures, there are no issues with this (but of course, spit out anything you have in your mouth should you feel that sensation coming).