Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

The pain between my two fingers began suddenly a few months

Customer Question

The pain between my two fingers began suddenly a few months ago for no known reason. I only felt the pain when I took a pen cap off with those fingers. The pain is very intense and sharp, lasting about 10 seconds. Now the pain has spread to the top of those fingers where they meet the top of the hand. When I washed my hands today, my ring barely bumped my fingers and my eyes watered from the pain. Quick, severe stabbing pain for 10 seconds. What could this possibly be? Thanks, V.W.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-

1.Since when it is there?
2.Which two fingers are involved?
3.Did you given excessive stress on them or there is any history of severe trauma to them?
4.Any history of diabetes or high blood pressure?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good evening. This began 6 months ago, inbetween my pointer and index finger. No stress given to the fingers at all in the past several months. No history of those diaseases. The sharp intense pain is only present when I bump my finger against another finger or my rings, for example, when washing my hands. The pain is now felt on the top side of my metacarpal bones on those same two fingers. V.W.
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Hello V.W.,
Sorry for a delayed response.
It looks by looking at your details that this may be due stenosing tenosynovitis of fleor tendon at the base of the finger.In this condition there is constriction of lining of the tendon(synovium) around the tendon.

You should do following to have relief in this-
1.Avoid excessive movements at the fingers.

2.Start taking an anti inflammatory analgesic like advil or aleeve.

3.You may take help from your doctor,he may inject a local steroid at the site of maximum tenderness.This will give you relief.

Hope it will help you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: My fingers never lock and I only feel pain once in a while if something knocks into the top, or inbetween my two fingers.I can always straighten my fingers easily. Thanks V.W..
My fingers never lock and I only feel pain once in a while if something knocks into the top, or inbetween my two fingers.I can always straighten my fingers easily. Thanks V.W.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 years ago.
Dear V W

Can you palpate your fingers and palm and tell what point is exactly tender?

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need to tap with my nail to locate the pain. It is between my pointer finger and index finger and on top (closer to base) of my index finger.
Dear V W

Exquisite tenderness like you describe can be seen with a ganglion of flexor tendon sheath.The typical feature is exquisite pain for a short duration with pressure or impact as you describe.They may be visible or palpable if big enough in size.

If present treatment can be either through aspiration and instillation of steroid or surgical excision.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no bumps seen or felt in those locations. No redness, no nothing except sharp pain once in a while.
Dear V W

The ganglion in this location can be very small with a diameter of few millimeters only and thus can be missed unless examined by a professional.Unfortunately i have to tender advice based on history alone and this seems to be the most plausible cause from your history.
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MS