Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have itchy ears and dandruff like flakes fall out when I

I have itchy ears and dandruff like flakes fall out when I scratch.Also when scratching blood is noticable and scab over days later.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 4 years ago.
As you describe there may be possibility of Seborrheic dermatitis in your case.

You should use OTC Medicated shampoos with active ingredients include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.
Take OTC antifungal medication (clotrimazole 1% and betamethasone ointment -(Lotrimin)) for local application.
Avoid scratching whenever possible.
It is advised to consult a dermatologist for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not think it is that.It is all over both ears and sometimes forms a scab and when scratched it bleeds.I am a neat and clean freak so I tried a lice shampoo (it didnt work) .It seems to spread thru out the ear and is no where else on my body.
As such apart from Seborrheic dermatitis (itXXXXX, XXXXXchy scaling ) , other possibilities include psoriasis .
Psoriasis tends to have a whiter scale, and affected areas will bleed fairly easily if they are plucked or picked or scratched.
Plaques or patches of psoriasis also tend to be thicker and more persistent.
Although both can produce dandruff like flakes and a few people have both conditions, however, which can make diagnosis difficult.
Basic treatment consists of using shampoos containing zinc pyrithione , selenium sulfide or ketoconazole ,coal tar , salicyclic acid .
So It is advised to consult a dermatologist for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.My scalp is not affected.It is in both ears and when I seem to clean the airs this stuff grows back fast.If I run a QTIP in my ears gently right now there will be specks of blood on the QTIP.It is in the ridges of the inside of my ears,around the lobes.It is itchy like mad and as stated sometimes a scab forms after itching and you can see alot of blood.If I sracth my ears right now gently my black shirt will fill up will specks of skin.THANKS
As you describe Psoriasis should be ruled out in your case.
Even you may require prescribed medications for it from a dermatologist .
I suggest you to make an appointment with your nearby dermatologist for further evaluation and management.
In the meantime take OTC anti histaminic medication (Cetirizine) to relieve itching .
Avoid scratching.
Use medicated shampoo as i have mentioned above.
Drink plenty of water.
Avoid stress .
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you sure it is not a parasite of some kind.Why did this condition seborrheic dermatis affect only my ears.What are some brand name shampoos?? THANKS

Seborrheic dermatitis results from an overproduction of skin cells and sebum, the skin’s natural oil.Typically it forms where the skin is oily or greasy.

Brands include -
Selenium sulfide (Selsun blue and prescription strength Selsun)
Ketoconazole (Nizoral AD and prescription strength Nizoral.
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience: M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.