Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.

The skin on my face keeps breaking out in blister type bumps.

Customer Question

The skin on my face keeps breaking out in blister type bumps. It first started on my forehead with small bumps that when the skin breaks water comes out (sometimes clear but noticed can be a yellow colour) I have now been left with red spots were the blisters were. It has now spread to on my nose and cheeks, I have noticed when the blisters are popped it then scabs and a new blister filled with puss forms around or next to the scab. The blisters started off quite small but are now getting biggar when they appear in a new place. I seem to get a new blister in a different place each morning. I have been using Fucidin cream prescribed by my doctor for 2 weeks but it has not made any difference. I don't have them anywhere else on my body just on my face.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Dr. Frank

Thank you for your questions. I have copied and answered under them as suggested:

a) How long have you noticed this rash? Does it correlate with ANYTHING that you can think of, especially a medication. It first appeared quite a few months ago but for months just stayed as the red scab/spots not the blisters and was only on my forehead it is only over the last month it has started to spread to the other parts of my face and the blisters have appeared more reguarly. The only thing I can think of is make up I am using such as concealer but I use it on all areas of my face and mainly under my eyes and the bisters haven't appeared there. I have changed shampoos also as at the time when it started could only link it with changing shampoo but can't have been that as gone back to my old shampoo.

b) Are you on oral contraceptives? Yes

c) Do you notice any irritation of your eyes? Have you had any bad dandruff lately?

My eyes are fine and have had no dandruff at all.

d) Is there any family history of this? Especially any history of "Rosacea"? No family history to my knowledge

e) Do you otherwise feel completely healthy? Yes I feel healthy otherwise

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 years ago.

I thought I had lost you. I am glad to hear from you.

Thank you for these very good answers. Here is what I think you are describing: ROSACEA

The only thing that might interfere with this diagnosis is your age. Although I have seen it in your age group it is a bit more uncommon. Rosacea is a "so called" adult form of acne that does not always look anything like adolescent acne. Fortunately, it is quite easy to fix. I had it myself rather bad. It cleared up within one week of appropriate treatment. I don't know what Fucidin is but if it is a steroid I would stop it. This drug was not listed in my Medication Database (Epocrates).

You will need to see your physician to get an oral antibiotic to take that will not interfere with your oral contraceptives. In addition, you will apply a special cream to your face. I think it is fine to continue your makeup as long as it is nonallergenic. Finally, I would advise that you use only Dove, Basis, or Neutorgena soap on your face. The redness that you see around the past lesions will eventually resolve. However, this may take a few months.

If your doctor is not certain about the diagnosis he will obtain a small biopsy to get a definitive diagnosis.

Lastly, I will get you a web link that would help explain it to you better. But, please be reassured that you have hope!

Here is the link:

Best of luck to you,

Dr. Frank MD

P.S. Please keep me informed. Send an update should you have any news regarding our discussion. Just direct it to Dr. Frank MD. I will appreciate it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help I will research into this condition further.

Kind regards,