Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
27991315

At what age do the growth plates fuse, rendering future linear

Customer Question

At what age do the growth plates fuse, rendering future linear growth impossible? At what age do HGH injections become ineffective?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

Well there is no absolute cutt-off age limit for fusion of growth plates, however, in general, the age for females is usually 15-17 years and for males is 17-18 years.

Growth hormone injections can help anyone to attain vertical height if fusion of growth plate has not occured.However, if the fusion has occured, then Growth Hormone is not helpful for increasing a vertical height.

I hope i have been helpful.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
While perhaps it was my fault for not being detailed and specific with my question, the answer provided was literally three sentences long. Paying $18 for such an answer is unfair. If there is any way to add more specifics to my question please allow me to do so.
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry the prior answer was inadequate, and I hope to help. The growth plates are areas of bone that grow rapidly in childhood, allowing for extension of the bone in question. This occurs in many bones of the body, particularly the long bones of the arms, legs and the sternum. Obviously, over time this growth rate slows, and eventually stops at the maximum height for an individual. The growth plates (physes) can be assessed by x-ray to determine whether they are "fused" or not, and if they are not, then there is theoretically a chance for continued growth. In studies, the growth plates for males tend to remain open for a longer period, which explains why the average male height is greater than the average female height. The average age is quite variable, but in men the age is anywhere from 17-21, and in women the age is anywhere from 16-19. You can see that there is an overlap, but the men tend to continue growing for a longer period. What is certain is that once the growth plates fuse, there is no additional chance for HGH to spur further growth. There is simply no more room in the growth plates for expansion of the bone. Therefore, there is no absolute age by which one can assume that HGH will no longer work. It all depends on the individual in question. The best way to find out whether your growth plates have fused is to discuss your case with an endocrinologist. These specialists most often deal with growth concerns, and they can order a simple xray of your wrists. There are growth plates found in most long bones, and it appears as a clear line at the end of the bone being assessed. It is therefore very easy to tell whether the growth plates have fused or not. When fused, the clear line across the bone is gone. Of course this is a slow process, and an endocrinologist can measure the size of the physis or growth plate, and determine how much time, if any, of growth remains. I hope this information is helpful for you and helps you get the information/treatment you're seeking. I wish you well. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology