Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

WHAT DO THEY DO TO SHAVE THE PROSTATE FOR A BIGGER OPENING

WHAT DO THEY DO TO SHAVE THE PROSTATE FOR A BIGGER OPENING TO EMPTY OUT THE BLADDER?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

Hi.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I'm guessing you suffered from Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)?

Q. have you already had a surgery?

Q. Was it done using a scope and a camera or was it done opening the abdomen through an incision?

Q. What symptoms did you have before the surgery?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I HAD KIDNEY STONES IN MY BLADDER THAT MADE ME URINATE BLOOD. THEY HAD TO SHAVE MY PROTATE BECAUSE IT WAS STOPPING ME FROM EMPTING MY BLADDER FULLY. I NEED TO KNOW HOW THEY DID IT. I ALSO HAD A CATHER IN FOR 11 DAYS. THANK YOU.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply, sir.

I have never heard of shaving the prostate just to empty the bladder of its stones without a having prostate (BPH) problem

The procedure you are mentioning is done in patients in whom the prostate is enlarged and is causing bladder outlet obstruction, a common cause of stasis of urine in the bladder, causing bladder stone formation.

So, your surgeon shaved your prostate and removed the stones so that he can rectify the underlying cause of the stone formation and provide a good outflow to the bladder and thus prevent further stone formation.

Prostate enlargement is almost inevitable in your age group and causes bladder stone formation.

In a patient with a normal prostate in whom there are Bladder stones, the stones can be removed simply by passing a cystoscope and collecting them in a dormia basket or they can be removed after breaking them into several smaller fragments using a lithotripsy device or manually.

The procedure that you had, involves the insertion of a scope in through the urethral opening on the glans penis and inserting a camera inside. They then use a diathermy device and blunt and sharp dissections to shave the prostate off, usually the median lobe of the prostate, which is enlarged or hypertrophied, there after the second procedure of stone removal can be accomplished, some smaller stones are passed out by themselves while the larger need to be broken down and collected. There is a need to keep a catheter inside the urethra for about 1 to 2 weeks so that there is no stricture development and the urethra does not narrow down due to the surgery.

Once the healing has occured the catheter canbe removed and the patient can live and enjoy a normal life.

Hope that answers your query.

For a further read on the topic, please refer to the following link:

http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/infectiousdiseases/Bladder-stones.htm

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.