Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

how do you know when you have a kidney stone or infection

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having any urinary symptoms right now?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have has blood in my unrunie on and off but now having serious pain in my right kidney

i have cyrois of the liver and had a "TIPPS"

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying.

To start, symptoms of a kidney infection can include blood in the urine and pain in the back. Usually, people have fever and nausea as well. If you don't have a fever, this would make a kidney infection less likely, but it is still possible.

A kidney stone can also cause pain in the back along with blood in the urine. A kidney stone causes pain that is pretty severe (if you have had kids, it is often compared to childbirth). The pain of a kidney stone can radiate around to the front of the abdomen and to the groin. It is usually a spasmodic type of pain.

A bladder infection can also cause blood in the urine. As you may know, it causes frequent urination, burning with urination and discomfort in the lower pelvic area.

Your doctor can do a urinalysis to look for white blood cells and other signs of infection. If this is clear, then a CT scan is often ordered for stones. I suspect you have had CT scans in the past...if you have had stones visualized in the kidneys in the past, then you could be passing one now if you have severe pain along with blood.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the blood in the urnie has gone away (for Now) but the pain in my back is killing me (right side)

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
It could be a kidney stone. Kidney stones cause visible blood but can also cause blood that is not visible. The blood can come and go.

If you are having severe pain, you should be evaluated as soon as possible.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the only other thing is that i can not bring my right leg up to (cross my legs)with out being in serious pain

and of course my dr is on vaction

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Do you still have your appendix?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i do
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
That would be another concern (if you have pain in the right lower abdomen) when you cross your leg. It would not cause blood in your urine or upper back pain though.

I would try to get to an urgent care at least to have your urine checked and be examined if you can.....

Dr Abby