Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

Is it Post Nasal Drip, Asthma, COPD, or Chronic Bronchitis

Customer Question

Is it Post Nasal Drip, Asthma, COPD, or Chronic Bronchitis?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

please tell me any history of cough,shortness of breath,sinus problem you have?

did you smoke if yes since how long and how much ciggerates/day?

any history of whistling sound while breathing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I stopped smoking 1-2 packs per day, in 1968. Have been to a pulmonologist early iun 2009 and my lungs are very clear. No history of shortness of breath, or coughing. Had a nasal sinus infection, briefly, in 2008. No other symptoms. I play an active game of tennis, sometimes singles, and I've been swimming 60 laps a day, 4 days a week.

When lying down, if I exhale through my mouth I can hear rumbling in my chest that sounds like a growling dog warning it's victim. Sometimes I hear meowing catlike sounds. These clear up when I expel mucous but I can't expel mucous easily. It's like the mucous decides when to loosen up.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

ok thanks for info as your history is not suggestive of any COPD,ASTHMA,but you have sinus problem and patient of sinus problem have post nasal drip and excessive sputum and crackling sound that you hear is because of air passes through phelgm and it clears when you cough up phelgm so i will suggest you to consult ENT specialist for the good and effective management of sinus problem/post nasal drip.and you dont have chronic bronchitis because we define chronic bronchitis as persistent and prolong cough for at lease three months in at least two consective years which you dont please once consult ENT specialist.