Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

have pressure in my chest and feels like I need to burp but

Customer Question

have pressure in my chest and feels like I need to burp but can't, and when swallowing food or drink it's uncomfortable? any idea what could cause this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 6 years ago.

The pressure in chest and the stimulus to burp are due to GERD. You might be having increased acidity or beginning of a gastric ulcer. Your symptoms do not seem to be due to any other new ailment. i would recommend you to consult your Gastroenterologist for need of a re-evaluation. If needed an endoscopy can be planned along with change of treatment.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's the pressure in my chest that's throwing me off. Had it a couple days now and it doesn't go away. I been living with my reflux disease for years and it's never done this to me before.

I can understand your concern. The pressure on chest is easily confused with a cardiac cause in patients with previous history of gastritis or GERD. In case the cause is of cardiac origin or due to a heart involvement, then the patient should have other symptoms like dizziness, shortness of breath, pain in left arm/jaw/neck etc, breaking out in cold sweats, sinking feeling etc. If you are having any of these symptoms in addition to chest pressure, then you need to be evaluated for a cardiac involvement. But if not, then considering your previous history of GERD and the chest pressure now, the most probably cause is worsening of GERD or formation of a gastric ulcer.

Regards