Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

I am having pain on backside (left side) of tongue. Initially

I am having pain on backside (left side) of tongue. Initially i have that pain on all sides but after applying orajel it went. But still on left side of tongue at the back I still have that pain, what should i do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I would like to have few details from you. any known medical illness like diabetes? any change in color of tongue? any chest or neck pain? history of swelling of tongue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr Amir.

- No diabetes

- No change in colour of tongue

- No chest/Neck pain

- No history of tongue swelling, infact this is the first time it has happened.

Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your details. I would say that it is important to investigate few important possibilities such as vitamin b12 and folate deficiency, infection, anemia. I will advise these tests for you like complete blood count, ESR, serum folate and vitamin b12 levels, blood culture. I will also suggest you to see Internist for complete evaluation. You can take Tab. panadol 500mg for three days and start taking vitamin B complex one tablet daily for three weeks. Avoid spicy and junk food. Use anti-septic mouth wash for three days as well.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here

Best of luck and keep in touch
Regards
Dr. Amir Javed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. I just want to clarify one thing, when I mentioned back side on tongue I meant the side that goes towards the throat. I tried putting my finger there a little bit (although its a little difficult) I found some roughness (small bumps) and if I press that I feel some pain. I dont know whether that roughness is normal or kind of some swelling. I live in US and the tablet you have suggested, do you know whether its available over the counter?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.
Yes the tablet which I mentioned is available in US. The small bumps which you are saying can be due to infection and thats why I suggested some important tests for you. If there is element of infection then it will come in blood tests and you may require antibiotics for that.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in order to give respect to my time and work here for you.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Regards
Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience: Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS