Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member

I have a scab on my stomach that started out as what looked

I have a scab on my stomach that started out as what looked like an insect bite, the bite soon became inflamed and scabby, the scab quickly spread in a circular motion and then the centre of the scab fell off living a ring on scab, appears to only be infecting the top layer of the skin. My partner had a very similar scab on his neck a number of weeks ago that behaved in the same way. Any ideas?
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Is this area quite itchy? Is it still red since the scab fell off? Is it swollen?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is itchy, the skin is light pink in the centre where the scab has fallen off, and around the perimeter of the scab. approx size of scab 3cm circle. no swelling.
The symptoms you describe seem most consistent with a staph or strep infection of the skin given the scabbing and itching. A contact allergy is also possible, but this seems like an unusual location for this. This does not sound like something like scabies (usually less scabbing, typically only in skin folds). A bite from a tick typically does not scab. At this point, the best treatment would be an over the counter triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin and an oral anti-itch medicine like benadryl to make you more comfortable. If this area is getting worse, swollen or painful, it can be a sign that a boil or abscess is forming, and a visit to your doctor would be in order. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thats great, thank you very much for your help. Could it just be a coincidence that my partner had a similar infection, i wondered if the sharing of towels and bedding could have caused it? Thanks in advance for your advice, much appreciated.
Shared towels and bedding can cause some spread of bacteria like staph and strep. It might be a good idea to launder all of your shared towels, bedding, etc in hot water as a precaution.

Please consider "accepting" my answer so that I receive recognition from JustAnswer for my efforts on your behalf if you feel that this information has been helpful to you.