Doctor Ellis
Doctor Ellis, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor
23567909

Testing low for Creatinine for Alcohol testing. I am a letter

Testing low for Creatinine for Alcohol testing. I am a letter carrier in FL need to drink liquids to stay hydrated, am a vegetarian - eat no meat, chicken or fish. The lab keeps saying it is diluted. Are there tests that can be taken which will show that my body will always produce a low creatinine level.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Ellis replied 6 years ago.

I am not sure what you mean by "Creatinine for Alcohol testing"??

Are you talking about the test for serum creatinine to look at kidney function?

What other medical problems do you have?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am being tested to confirm that I am not drinking Alcohol. The tests are coming back diluted or with low creatinine levels. I am not drinking. I do drink a great deal of fluids to avoid dehydration for my job - the truck can get up to 110 degrees.

I am a vegetarian - eating no chicken or fish.

I am hoping that there is a medical test(s) I can take to confirm that my body processes creatinine differently to prove that I am not drinking.

Thanks for your help.

Your body would not process creatinine differently, and there is no test to show this.

You can, however do a Urinalysis and look at the sodium level and the specific gravity to look for dilution.

I hope this is helpful.

If so, please click on the green ACCEPT button.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying there is only this one way to test for creatinine? And if it comes back low that is the result?

A Urinalysis is a particular type of lab test?

When they do this Urinalysis test they would look for sodium level?

Is it the specific gravity of my urine?

The sodium level and specific gravity would confirm urine dilution as a natural/biological result?

This would confirm that my urine is diluted compared to nornal urine?

How would this help me?

If you could explain a more fully, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,

Sure, I will explain more.

Measuring serum creatinine is a useful and inexpensive method of evaluating renal dysfunction. Creatinine is a non-protein waste product of creatine phosphate metabolism by skeletal muscle tissue. Creatinine production is continuous and is proportional to muscle mass.

Creatinine is freely filtered and therefore the serum creatinine level depends on the Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR). Renal dysfunction diminishes the ability to filter creatinine and the serum creatinine rises. The GFR is a measure of your kidney's ability to work.

Decreased Creatinine levels may be seen in: the elderly, persons with small stature, decreased muscle mass, or inadequate dietary protein. Muscle atrophy can also result in decreased serum creatinine level.

Low creatinine may just mean that your kidneys are working well, not that your blood is diluted.

A Urinalysis is a lab test of your urine. The specific gravity will show how dilute the urine is.

Urine sodium is a separate test and it is also an indication of dilute urine.

Unfortunately, if you are drinking a lot of fluid at work, this test may show that your urine is dilute anyway.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I get documentation that I am in one of the categories below?

It is not my blood - it is a urine test?

There is no "documentation" that you are in one of those categories. A doctor can say that this is what they suspect to be the cause of your low creatinine, but you would have to have a lot of muscle loss for this to be the case.

Creatinine levels are a blood test.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The test that I have been taking is a Urine Test.

Are you saying, I can take a blood test which will confirm my low creatinine levels?

What about testing for low dietary protein?

There is a blood test for creatinine.

You can test Albumin and pre-albumin levels to look for malnutrition and low protein.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the Albumin test a blood test?
Yes it is, as is the pre-albumin.