Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Im urinating every two hours or so, What is wrong with tha

Im urinating every two hours or so, What is wrong with that?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Are you having any burning with urination?
Do you get up in the middle of the night to urinate?
Any blood in your urine?
Do you drink a lot of fluids during the day?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont have any burning or blood in my urine. I do get up once or twice in the middle of the night to urinate. I drink the necessary to stay hydrated.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you,

How long has this been going on?
Is it something new for you?
Any discharge from the penis?
Do you have to strain to start your stream?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
For about a week now. It is new to me. No discharge and no strain
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you again.

Often, when men have to urinate more frequently it is a symptom of a urinary tract infection (bladder or prostate). Typically there will be other associated symptoms with this--burning, difficulty starting the stream, feeling like you still have to go after you just went--but these do not have to be present for an infection to be diagnosed.

Diabetes can also present with frequent urination. Elevated blood sugars act as a diuretic, making people urinate more often. Increased thirst and increased appetite are other symptoms that may accompany elevated blood sugars.

Third, frequent urination can simply be due to your fluid intake. If you have been drinking more water, caffeine or alcohol (caffeine and alcohol both increase urinary output), these will cause your symptoms.

An enlarged prostate can cause men to have to urinate at night more frequently. This would be unusual for someone your age, unless you had an infection.

An overactive bladder is the fifth possibility, although this is not common in someone your age.

I recommend that you have your doctor do a urinalysis and some blood work (blood sugar). He will likely do a prostate exam as well.

Limit your caffeine and alcohol intake. Also decrease fluid intake after 5-6 pm to help prevent nighttime urination.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!