Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member

Can you get Klebsiella pneumoniae urinary tract infection from

Can you get Klebsiella pneumoniae urinary tract infection from sex related transfer? I also have MS & am on many antibiotics throughout the year? I read about this Klebsiella & also comprehended it to be related to antibiotics...also, I'm not diabetic, alcoholic, or catherized. I also wash with DIAL soap every day around my private parts...Is that bad to do too much?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Marcus replied 6 years ago.
Klebsiella is one of the more common causes of UTIs and is not sexually transmitted. Intercourse can predispose women to UTIs by pushing bacteria into the urethra. Some women find that urinating immediately after sex and drinking cranberry juice (it acidifies your urine and makes it harder for bacteria to stick to the inside of your bladder. It is great that you take hygiene seriously, but this may not prevent further infections. Some of the stronger soaps like Dial can cause a bit of irritation to the external vaginal mucosa. If this happens, you should back of the use of this soap a bit. Please let me know if you have any other questions.