Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)

My potassium level is 5.2, just above the preferred limit of

Customer Question

My potassium level is 5.2, just above the preferred limit of 5.1. I've been taking potassium choride 10MEQ for years. At my last doctor visit I was told I could no longer have bananas and to cut way back on bran flakes and to be careful of potassium-rich foods. He did give me a list of those but 2% milk wasn't listed. When I read the label information on the bran flakes box it showed quite an increase in potassium when the milk was added. I went on-line and it looks as if milk is also a problem. I use 1-1/2 gallons of milk a week as I like my hot chocolate. I called my mail-order pharmacy and they said the potassium pill I'm taking cannot be cut in half. I've found in the week with no bananas (I usually only eat half of one) and no bran flakes that my problem with constipation is worse. Can you give me a figure of how much potassium the average person needs so I can figure out how to handle this situation. The pharmacist did suggest taking the pill every other day. Is this OK?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just answer

What potassium pill are you taking and at what dose?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a flat round pill, potassium chloride 10 MEQ, once daily
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the input...

Food items rich in potassium include the following:

Most fruits are good sources of potassium, but dried fruits contain even more potassium per serving. Dried apricots, figs, raisins and prunes are all excellent sources of potassium. Add dried fruit to a trail mix with nuts and seeds, sprinkle dried fruit on a tossed salad, or add dried fruit to your morning bowl of cereal.

Tomatoes and tomato products such as spaghetti sauce, salsa and even ketchup contain large amounts of potassium. Snack on cherry tomatoes, add sliced tomatoes to sandwiches, and enjoy tomato-based pasta sauces several times each week.

Milk is a good source of potassium as well as calcium. Drink three cups of milk per day and you get 36% of your daily potassium requirements. One cup of most types of yogurt provides 10 to 15% of total daily potassium needs depending on the brand.

The daily requirement of potassium is 1-1.5mmol per kg body weight or 2000mg per day...

And yes you can take the potassium pill on your pharmacists advise at the dose he mentioned..

I hope this answers your question...