Dr. Dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience:  US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.
19562837

i woke up with a swelled vein on the bottom of my foot that

Customer Question

i woke up with a swelled vein on the bottom of my foot that is still there after a week. I was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease and am on 88mg of syntroid daily. however i had run out, could not taking the medication caused this?

My foot doctor has me scheduled for an MRI, but doesnt think i need to be fitted with a shoe that will accomodate its uncomfort
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rogala replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

This was not caused by taking or not taking the medication. I would follow up with the MRI as directed to find out the cause. You may not need orthotic shoes, just ones that fit well. I would not immediately want special shoes until I found out what it is and what needs to be done about it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what are the possible outcomes for this? If i got it from sitting to much, would excercise make it go away?

A swollen vein on the booton of the foot does not sound like something that comes from sitting too much. I don't think exercise would be a great idea until it is diagnosed. I do not know the possible outcomes because you don't have a diagnosis. That is why your doctor ordered an MRI, to get a diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what causes this inflamation of the vein on the bottom of my foot? i do not wear uncomfortable shoes.

Veins are not located on the bottom of the foot. The plantar fascia, which is on the sole of the foot, is so thick that you cannot see anatomical structures below. On the back surface of your hand, you can see veins because the skin is thin.

So, to be honest, I am not sure why you have made several comments about a vein on the 'bottom' of your foot. You can see the veins in the ankles and on the top surface of the foot, but not on the bottom. Also, if it was an inflammation, your doctor would not have found it necessary to order an MRI.

But to answer your question in a more general sense, veins can get inflamed for a variety of reasons. Mechanical friction from clothing or an I.V. start can cause a phlebietis. A supericial clot can also cause an inflammation. Various forms of arthritis and vasculitis can all cause inflammation. If the vein is varicosed, it will be more prone to this and if you have poor circulation. So those are answers to general questions, but you do not have a vein on the bottom (sole) of your foot.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is located an inch beneith the pinky toe, at the bottom of my foot there. Are veins located there that can be twisted, swollen inflamed and prevent me from walking on it?

Veins are not visible on the sole of the foot. As I said previously, something else must be there and since your doctor ordered an MRI, he or she must agree with that idea. I am going to opt out so another expert can take your question as I feel I have answered it completely and that you are already seeing a podiatrist who is working this up and will have an answer for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am just perplexed that the foot doctor tells me it is a swollen vein, has me off from work for a week. ANd you say i have no veins on the bottom of my feet. I just want to learn more about it. Do you think i have been misdiagnosed? My MRI is tomorrow.

He has examined you, not me. What I am trying to tell you is that the sole of the foot is very thick and tough and in 99.99% of people, a vein would not be visible. There are veins everywhere in the body, but they are more visible, for instance on the hands. Since you keep saying it is on the bottom of your foot, I would call that the sole. If it is on the top or on the ankle, then that is different.

So, I cannot tell you that you have been misdiagnosed because I was not there when the doctor spoke and patients frequently mishear information. I believe he is doing the right thing by ordering an MRI and that you will have a diagnosis.

Hope all works out for you.

Edited by Dr. Rogala on 2/12/2010 at 6:10 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Forgive me for the confusion, i am no doctor so when i say "bottom of my foot" it is in general layman's terms. I did not know it specified the heel of the foot you are speaking of. I stated the inflammation was about 1" under the pinky toe. Not on the top of the foot, underneath, i need to look at the bottom of my foot to see the inflammation. It resides about one inch away (going to the heel direction) from the pinky toe on the foot. Are there veins over there that can be inflamed from sitting to much? I ask because i read on this site, inflammation of veins can result from sitting to much (varicose veins) All i want to do is find the root cause for my ailment and try to keep it from happening again or possibly going away without surgery.
Expert:  Dr. Dennis replied 4 years ago.
hi... listen, I dont think this is a vein. my sense is its something else. Ok common stuff first... did you step on something... is it a "sliver" of glass, splinter... etc?

Next---did you bang/smash/injure the area some way.

Is it a palpable mass.. I mean can you feel a lump, like an abscess or a fluid filled thing.

Please dont be insulted or offended by my trying to put these medicalese expresssion into common everyday words..

dr dennis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To answer your questions:

did you step on something (no, read from the beginning)

is it a "sliver" of glass, splinter? (no, read from the beginning)

did you bang/smash/injure the area some way. (no, read from the beginning)

Is it a palpable mass (i do not know what this means)

can you feel a lump? (yes)

like an abscess (i do not know what that is or feels like)

or a fluid filled thing. (i dont think there is fluid in it)

Sorry but upon reading everything from the beginning I found nothing answering my questions. Palpable mass means you feel it. Thats all.
In my 25 years I have never seen a "vein" where you are stating it is occurring.
I am going to OPT OUT as you obviously have it in your mind that this is a vein.
best of luck.

good day to you.

Edited by Dr. Dennis on 2/13/2010 at 6:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My foot doctor stated it was this swollen vein, i did not diagnose myself. I am just relaying information. Is it possible my doctor has misdiagnosed me?

To reanswer your questions:

did you bang/smash/injure the area some way. (no)

Is it a palpable mass (yes i feel it, i cannot walk on it is painful and i was instructed to be home off my feet for one week)

can you feel a lump? (yes)

sure he could be wrong. We are not perfect, and mistakes or incorrect diagnoses are always made.

If it was me, i would get an mRI as one other doc suggested because there is really no way to image this other wise. Regular xrays are for bones, not soft tissue. A cat scan might give a picture but an mRI is better. An ultrasound could pick up a fluid filled structure but it doesnt sound amenable or large enough for that.

It could also be some sort of callus or growth under the skin as well.
I copied this site because it does explain some things about veins in the sole of the foot. But they are not superficial.
http://www.phlebologia.com/en/veines_marginales.asp

You might want to start with a second opinion.

dr d

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my MRI came back with the following immpression:

1. no evidence of neoplasm on this study. Prominenet plantar veins noted, with callus and adventitial bursitis below third, fouth and fifth metatarsal heads.

2. Hallux valgus with moderate osteoarthritis hallux-sesamoid complex.

What does this mean?

congrats on no neoplasm. They see some veins with callous on the foot. have have inflammation of the joints on the foot. You have a problem with your great toe.

dr dennis

PLEASE NOTE. JUST ANSWER IS NOT A FREE SITE. IT IS A PAID SITE WHERE CLIENTS MAKE DEPOSITS IN GOOD FAITH FOR ANSWERS FROM EXPERTS.
Please poress accept so that I may be paid for my time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so what has kept my foot in pain where i had to stay home for a week? And how do i prevent this from occuring in the future? does this occur from sitting to much? or crossing the legs?

i understand this is not a free site, i have used it in the past. however i am not satisfied with the way that the information has been provided. I am clearly being disregarded and belittled with the above attitude that the doctors have taken with me.

Before we go on do you apply your last remark to me, my information, how I have treated you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the last remark was applied to the entire strain of converstation starting on 2/11 - 2/16 for my foot condiditin that still exists.
I am opting out so that some other expert can try to assist you.
best wishes.

d

Edited by Dr. Dennis on 2/20/2010 at 3:10 PM EST