Dr.Brown, Doctor
Experience:  Family Practice

My doctor said I have high cholesterol.My total is 246 and

My doctor said I have high cholesterol.My total is 246 and my bad is 171.I dont know the rest. He put me on zocor which doesn't agree with me, so iv'e been taking red yeast rice. What do you think of it and is it safe? I dont want to take any prescription medicines as there all have statins in them. My doctor had my on one pill twice a week at 10 ml. But like i said it did bother me. I would like to know what you think of red yeast rice. I know of a few friends of mine that it helped. All I know is it safe. I know it has lovastatin in it, but its not suppose to be the same as the prescription meds . What do you think??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.

Red yeast rice should be safe to use and in one study from university of Pennsylvania it was found to be as effective as a statin.

I also suggest a good omega 3 fish oil and getting plenty of fish in your diet instead of animal protein which is also effective for lowering cholesterol.

If you have any more questions let me know. thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have colitis and fish oil and flaxseed seems to bother my colitis. But I do eat fish about once a week. I also eat chicken and turkey without the skin.. lots of fresh vegs and friut. Anything else I should do..?? oh also go on the treadmill for a half hour on my good days. ( at least 3 times a week).. I have c.o.p.d. too.. Some weeks its about 5 days ..