DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

I have black spots in my stool.

I have black spots in my stool. The stool is yellow and there are occasional black spots. Its not like this every time, but it just happened for the second time (not in a row) and I'm concerned.

Welcome to just answer,

Such black spots in stools can happen due to eating certain foods, taking iron supplements, or possibly from internal bleeding. Iron supplements, taken alone or as part of a multivitamin for iron-deficient anemia. Black licorice, blueberries, Lead, Bismuth (Pepto-bismol) can also cause black stools. Bleeding can occur due to bleeding ulcer, gastritis, esophageal varices or a tear in the esophagus. You need to get your self examined by your doctor and get stool examination done to confirm the presence of blood. If no bleeding is there then treatment is to make some changes in your lifestyle and diet that are caused of this black bowel movement. Please consult a specialist i.e a gastroenterologist.

Edited by DR. AM. on 2/10/2010 at 7:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

Its weird because I had a regular BM today and there was no presence of these black spots. My stool was actually normal. But on Sunday night and tonight I had this same kind of "soft" stool that was golden brown/yellow and had black spots.

My lifestyle is pretty good. I workout 6 times a week, I don't eat junk food, and I eat healthy meals. I must admit that I'm not good at eatting my veggies. But I also drink 2 to 3 protein shakes every day and I drink I pre-workout drink called N.O. Shotgun. Could any of this be what is affecting me?

Also I am away on vacation for about another week, would it be okay to wait a week or two before I could get into my doc? Or should I go to the E.R. here?

Thanks again.
If this happens again and stools are black tary and bad smelling then contact your doctor immediately.

You can wait if you don't have such stools.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
By black tary, does that mean the whole stool is black and tary? Or does it mean if the stools are like what I'm experiencing now where they are yellowish/brown with black spots here and there?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX last question :)
Tary means tar like.

Not whole, even if part of stool is black.

Spots can be related to food.

If it continues visit your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you :)