Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have a quite large soft lump on the point of my left elbow.

I have a quite large soft lump on the point of my left elbow. It has been obvious for 5 weeks.
Should I be worried
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Is the lump painful?
Have you injured the elbow?
Has it been getting bigger? Smaller? Staying the same?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

lump is not painful

no injury

lump remains same size

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information...

What you likely have is called olecranon bursitis. This is swelling of the fluid filled sac that is located at the tip of the elbow. This sac helps to allow the skin to move fluidly over the underlying bone.

The sac can become inflamed and irritated for several reasons--infection (usually in this case, you will have redness, tenderness and pain), trauma/injury (such as a hard blow to the elbow), arthritis (rheumatoid or gout--also usually painful) or from prolonged pressure to the elbow (such as resting your elbows on the arms of a chair or table frequently or for long periods of time). The condition is usually not serious unless infected, which does not commonly occur.

Initial treatment usually involves taking an anti-inflammatory. Since your symptoms have been going on for 5 weeks, though, it is unlikely that it is going to go away on its own.

The next step is to remove the fluid with a needle. Your doctor will probably also inject a steroid at the same time. A pressure bandage is applied afterwards in order to help prevent reaccumulation of the fluid.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States