Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What is Mastoid Effusion?

Mastoid Effusion basically means that there is collection of fluid behind the ear, this is in the bony prominence behind the ear which is composed of air cells. This collection can be in the form of pus or even just simple fluid. Normally the major cause for collection of fluid behind the ear in this region is due to an infection of the middle ear, or the throat or even the inner ear. This can lead to collection of fluid. Also if you have symptoms of chronic sinusitis then this disorder can occur as well.

Now the symptoms which are associated with mastoid effusion are the following,

Ear pain
Ear discharge
tenderness over the mastoid process
Headaches in the form of shooting sharp pain on one side of the head
Fever
Localized inflammation

Now the headaches which you're getting can be due to this problem as well. Now the treatment for this condition is with the following steps,

One is that of antibiotics like ticarcillin, clavulanate and ciprofloxacin, gentamicin.

In some conditions where antibiotic medications are not successful, There surgery remains the best treatment to cure. By removing part of the bone and drain the mastoid via surgery.

So right now I would suggest that you be put on antibiotics to solve this problem and if that doesn't help, then surgical intervention can be done. For this a visit to your ENT is the best option. I hope this helps

Read full interaction below »

What does a mastoid effusion mean? Is this what causes the pain in my head?

Category: Medical

Welcome to JustAnswer and thanks for the question, can you describe the location of the pain and nature of pain in your head? Any other symptoms? Do you have tenderness over the bony prominence behind the ear? Did this show up on a CT/MRI scan? Any ear damage? Ear pain? Any other medical conditions or medications?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have just had a MRI and that is what they found. The pain I get in my head most often is behind my right ear, the side of the mastoid effusion. I have been unwell for some time and told the doctors at the beginning of December it was sensory overload making me sick. I have light sensitivity, hyperacusis and a very strong sense of smell. I sometimes have difficulty walking or speaking. I am always short of breath. They are just telling me it is the neurons not making the right connections. I wondered if the mastoid effusion would have any bearing on any of my symptoms.

Thanks for the additional information,

Now mastoid effusion basically means that there is collecetion of fluid behind the ear, this is in the bony prominence behind the ear which is composed of air cells. This collection can be in the form of pus or even just simple fluid. Normally the major cause for collection of fluid behind the ear in this region is due to an infection of the middle ear, or the throat or even the inner ear. This can lead to collection of fluid. Also if you have symptoms of chronic sinusistis then this disorder can occur as well.

Ear pain
Ear discharge
tenderness over the mastoid process
Fever
Localized inflammation

Now the headaches which youre getting can be due to this problem as well. Now the treatment for this condition is with the following steps,

One is that of antibiotics like ticarcillin, clavulanate & ciprofloxacin, gentamicin.

So right now i would suggest that you be put on antibiotics to solve this problem and if that doesnt help, then surgical intervention can be done. For this a visit to your ENT is the best option. I hope this helps