IVY MD
IVY MD, Doctor
Experience:  USA trained physician in Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Anesthesiology, and Interventional Pain
26532264

what causes the tendons to shrink in the hands and cause the

what causes the tendons to shrink in the hands and cause the fingers to contract inward
Category: Medical
Expert:  IVY MD replied 4 years ago.
Dupuytren's contracture is the name ofr this situation. The tough connective tissue within one's hand becomes abnormally thick which can cause the fingers to curl and can result in impaired function of the fingers, especially the small and ring fingers. It usually has a gradual onset, often beginning as a tender lump in the palm. Over time, pain associated with the condition tends to go away, but tough bands of tissue may develop.

Dupuytren's contracture is not a dangerous condition, and often no treatment is necessary. Even when treatment is used, there is no permanent way to stop or cure the affliction.

Surgical management consists of opening the skin over the affected cords and excising (removing) the fibrous tissue. The fingers may then be brought out to length with the help of postoperative therapy. The procedure is not curative in that remaining non-affected fascia may still develop Dupuytren's disease later on, and therefore the patient may need repeat surgery.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing will actually help
Expert:  IVY MD replied 4 years ago.
Surgery will help if the situation warrants it, but I wouldn't get it unless it really bothers you or is impairing your function.
IVY MD, Doctor
Experience: USA trained physician in Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Anesthesiology, and Interventional Pain