Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

I have a sharp burning pain on the left side near the navel

I have a sharp burning pain on the left side near the navel when I cough, sneeze or move. quickly. I went to my Dr. and did not get any answer. She prescribed a week of Cipro.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

How close to your belly button?

Have you ever had ANY surgery including scopes, c-sections?

What is your height and weight?

Do you have any medical conditions?

What medications are you on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
II am 5'2 and weigh about 130,. Years ago I have a complete hysterectomy, and also have acid reflux,high blood pressure for which I am taking protonix, anf blood pressure meds. I just had a lumpectomy for removal of a maglignant ductal tumor. It was grade 1, stage 1 and will start radiation in about a week. I have had colonoscopys, and endostomys in the past. I also have had the stomach test that shows how fast food leaves the stomach, and result were very slow, so that probably contributes to the issues I have.Years ago I was very ill with eschemic cholitis.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
I would highly recommend a physical exam - this burning pain could be direct pain such that you might have an umbilical hernia, you might have referred pain from anywhere in your abdomen - so a physical exam would definitely help - and many times pain around the belly button is referred from the vaginal area - so a pelvic exam would be something that I would have done to.
If you have additional questions, please ask. Thank you for your question.