Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member
28702373

I have swelling on my face, started under the right eye area

I have swelling on my face, started under the right eye area with a hard bump and swelling, then within a couple of days started next to the nose on the side....again hard lump and swelling around the area. It does not itch and is not painful to the touch, my my face aches. I have been put on 2 antibiotices (Sulfamethoxazole & Clindamycin HCl) and started last night. This morning I woke up and the swelling below my right eye is much, much worse.

First, is it normal for things to get worse after taking antibiotics? How long should I wait to see if they are working?

Also, is there a test a doctor can take to determine if this is an infection or something else?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Marcus replied 4 years ago.
It sometimes takes up to 24 hours for you to start to have a response to antibiotics, but when you are dealing with a potential infection on the face, it is concerning if it seems that the area is getting significantly worse. One addition concern is that if the area you are mentioning is an abscess (boil) the antibiotics will probably not be enough to clear the infection out and you might need to have this area drained. If you are having any problems or pain in your upper teeth (especially if this started before the swelling in your face) it is also possible that this could be an infection in the root of one of the teeth which has spread to the soft tissue. If you are not starting to improve by early this evening, it is probably a sign that you should be checked out and not wait overnight, because if it is an abscess, the larger it gets the more dangerous it is and the more potential there is for scarring and permanent skin damage. I hope that this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the best type of doctor (GP, skin doctor, etc) to see who will best be able to tell if this is an abcess?
Your GP should be able to sort this out for you a bit, but especially if he or she feels that something needs to be drained, they might send to you the ER to have this done.
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience: US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been helpful. I will watch the swelling area and if it gets any worse I'll go to ER (aargh! I don't have insurance!)
Best of luck to you!