Kayfarooq, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MB;BS

What to do for burping rotten egg taste Please help!!!

What to do for burping rotten egg taste? Please help!!!
Hello and thanks for consulting Just Answer.

Rotten egg burps are also called sulfur taste burps as the rotten egg smell comes from hydrogen sulfide gas which is produced by intake of food containing sulfur and presence (for that matter, overgrowth) of the bacteria who metabolize the food and produce the gas.

Foods containing sulfur make a long list which include food preservatives, poultry, meat, diary products and even coffee. If you are taking any of these things in excess, start avoiding it, with a particular refrain from eggs. Symptoms go down in less than a week. If they don't, think of a bacterial over growth.

Bacteria that cause this disorder may be Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) and Giardia Lamblia. If a change in food habits doesn't help, please consult your doctor for tests regarding these organisms. It is only after a consultation in person and some diagnostic tests (breath test for h. pylori) that an antibiotic therapy can be advised.

Best Regards
Please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied with the answer so that I can get my reward. A positive feedback and a bonus will be greatly appreciated. I am here for further queries, if any.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. Could this also be the cause?

Not directly. But hiatal hernia disturb the normal functioning of stomach which may lead to an overgrowth of some bacterial species, which consequently result in these symptoms. But all that seems too hypothetical. What I mean to say that you can get better even with the hernia still there. There is no compulsory link.

Have a nice day.