Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

How does protein get into blood. are there any foods that

How does protein get into blood.
are there any foods that i can take to minimise protein getting into blood
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. There are two basic meanings to the phrase 'protein in blood'.
The first relates to the fact that blood actually carries protein around the body- almost shipping it to wherever it is needed e. g. the muscles etc. Sometimes blood is tested for protein by doctors. This is known as a "total protein" test and is actually a blood plasma test. The test reveals the protein levels in the blood and can give information about how nutritionally sound we are i.e. if we are eating ok. This test can also check for any kidney or liver irregularities. The second meaning of the phrase relates to the fact that there is red protein in the blood which carries oxygen ~ this is haemoglobin. Haemoglobin levels may be checked to see if the red protein cells are ok and if the blood has enough oxygen. Sometimes protein can leak out from the blood and go into the urine system. This is known as proteinuria. This is a basic description and I hope it helps. In terms of foods, I wouldn't worry about altering your diet, because you need protein to maintain your weight and caloric intake. Foods that are low in protein are therefore higher in fat or carbohydrates, which present risks of their own in the form of higher rates of heart disease. The key is to eat a well-balanced diet, and keep things in moderation. Drink plenty of water and healthy liquids -- that will help as well. I wish you well. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX