Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I have sprained my wrist and keep getting a burning feeling

I have sprained my wrist and keep getting a burning feeling through the middle of it like hot needle, like tooth ache passes after a few minutes, what causes this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Can you please tell me what other medical problems and what medications do you take?
How long ago was this fall?
How long ago was the x-ray?
Can you please describe as best as possible how the sprain occurred and what position your wrist was in at the time.

G-d Bless
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have any other medical problems or medications.

It was an injury which was initially sustained 3 weeks ago whilst playing badminton, pain in the centre of the wrist. Then last Friday I had to restrain a pupil at school who was trying to attack another pupil. As I held onto him, he pulled away from me, I was holding either side of his arms. As he pulled away I felt a pop in the middle of my wrist and pain again in the centre of the wrist level with the middle 2 fingers if you lay the hand flat. It was x rayed last friday and no fracture was seen. It has been painful to move or put pressure on although this has got slightly better whilst wearing the splint but still experiencing this burning sensation on and off which passes after a few minutes but is aching/dull burning again in the centre of the wrist like a hot needle going through it, so not sure what I should be doing, keeping it rested, moving it even though its painful to weight bear right now.

Thanks

Right now you should rest and ice the wrist and keep it elevated (above the level of your heart). If there is no reason you shouldn't then you should take ibuprofen. This medication takes care not only of the pain, but of the inflammation as well. So it is not just for pain relief but it is therapeutic as well.
You can also try icing the area of the injury on 20 minutes off 20 minutes and see if that helps.
If the pain continues then I would suggest you wait about another week to ten days and have it x-rayed again. There is a certain bone in your wrist that can break but not be obvious on x-ray for a couple of weeks.

I hope you start feeling much better very soon.

G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions please feel free to ask them.

_________________________

If you are satisfied with my answer, please push "accept" so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what would be causing the burning in my wrist?
My concern is that you have fracture your scaphoid. That can cause avascular necrosis to part of the bone if it is not getting adequate blood supply.
The other possibility is that the swelling is impinging on the median nerve and giving you that sensation.

Please take care of the injury so that it can heal quickly. (You mention that in your job you had to restrain a student... that would not be a good thing for you to do right now...)

G-d Bless

_________________________

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.