Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Painfull sores on head/scalp and neck swollen lymphnodes and

Painfull sores on head/scalp and neck swollen lymphnodes and itchy?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

How long have you had this?
Are the sores all over the head/scalp/neck or only on one side?
Have you seen a doctor for this?
What do the sores look like?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
These painful sores have been reaccuring for years start off like what are like pimples then get pretty big rupture and then take quite awhile to heal usually staying just at the back of my head/scalp.Was kinda use to it getting though it however now for the last 2wks they have spread to my neck and have quite a few all over head/scalp and they itch and oh man my neck hurts!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
I am so sorry you are having this problem!

What you are describing sounds like what is called folliculitis. This is an infection of the hair follicles. It can occur on any area of the body that has hair. Folliculitis can be caused by fungal infections or bacteria.

The fact that you have pain and swollen glands suggests that you may have a bacterial infection. Staph is one of the more common bacteria that would cause this.

You need to see your doctor. He or she, if confirming a bacterial infection, will start you on antibiotics to clear this up.

Other less common skin diseases can occur on the scalp (pemphigus for example). Your doctor may need to refer you to a dermatologist if he does not feel it is infection.

In the meantime, try warm compresses to the area along with an antihistamine to help with the itching and an anti-inflammatory for pain (if you can take these types of medications).

Here is more information for you about folliculitis if you would like to read:

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Edited by Dr. Abby on 2/2/2010 at 7:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Been to Derma before and Dr.still no clear answers?And like I said just learned to deal with it.Frustrated with no clear answers and medicine to treat?Behind my ear there is a node that's huge and not painful has just slowly grown but now is itchy? I do have Lupus and Fibro?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Well, lupus can cause rashes as you know and the rash may be related to that. If it is, I would think it would respond to steroids.

If you have a slowly enlarging lymph node, that needs to be looked at.
If it is over 1 cm in size, I would talk to your doctor about whether a biopsy is required. Although it is probably a reaction to the rash you have.

I can completely understand your frustration with not having a diagnosis. I would hope that a biopsy has been done at some point. If not, that would be what I would recommend.

Right now, since the rash has worsened, I would make sure it has not developed a secondary infection...signs would be pus drainage, redness of the skin, warmth of the skin, fever (possibly).

I don't think the fibro has anything to do with the rash unless it is a medication induced rash.

Perhaps you need another dermatology opinion.

If you haven't tried the antihistamines, it may give you temporary relief for the itching while seeking answers.

Dr Abby