Dr Khan
Dr Khan, Doctor
Experience:  MB, MRCP(UK), MCPS(Medicine)
28772309

My wife is passing white globules in her stool They are about

My wife is passing white globules in her stool They are about the size of a kidney bean, soft, fatty texture and she is passing 3 or 4 per motion. She has diarrhoea. The globules float. She has seen the doctor, and has had a sample in the lab, but no-one seems to know why or what it is.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Greetings
NEEDS A LITTLE BIT MORE INFORMATION
FOR HOW LONG SHE IS EXPERIENCING THESE SYMPTOMS
WHAT WERE THOSE SAMPLES IN THE LABS
ANY RESULTS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband asked me to talk to you direct. I noticed the first globule at the beginning of December, but didn't think too much of it. When others appeared, I fished one out and inspected it. as my husband said it was just like fat, very soft and creXXXXX XXXXX in colour. I kept it in cling film intending to take it to my doctor. When I went back to it several days later, it had shrunk slightly and was now brownish grey and very hard with a slight unevenness on the surface. That was just before Xmas. In January I passed 2 in the same stool so got an emergency appointment and showed the doctor. He didn't know and showed it to 2 other colleagues and sent it to the lab for tests. These have come back negative for any organisms. I am obviously very concerned about this. I have had severe diarrhoea since Sunday and have pain in the lower right abdomen. This morning I passed 4 globules in thin watery stools.
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 6 years ago.
OK. HAVE YOU EVER NOTICED BLOOD IN STOOLS?
WERE ANY BLOOD OR STOOL TESTS WERE PERFORMED BY YOUR DOCTOR AND IF SO CAN YOU PLEASE RECALL THEIR RESULTS?
ANY OTHER UNUSUAL FEELINGS?
ARE YOU TAKING OR HAVE TAKEN ANY MEDICATION DURING THAT PERIOD WHEN IT STARTED?
ANY ALLERGIES?
ANY OTHER MEDICAL PROBLEMS? DIABETES, BLOOD PRESSURE, THYROID PROBLEMS?
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 6 years ago.
I KNOW THAT I HAVE REQUESTED RATHER A DETAILED INFORMATION FROM YOU BUT THIS WILL HELP ME HOW TO GUIDE YOU THE BEST KEEPING IN VIEW YOUR WHOLE PROFILE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No blood in stools. Have had a colonoscopy in Nov 2008. Apart from some diverticuli, I have a rectal pouch which is not extreme enough to have any treatment so far. I have diabetes type 2, diagnosed 5 years ago and latest treatment metformin (4x500mg) and pioglitazone (45mg) daily and have been on this for some months. I have high blood pressure and take coaprovel (300mg/12.5mg) and amlodipine (10mg) both of which I have taken for 3-4 years - my blood pressure recently has been pretty good averaging 130/80. I also suffer from reflux and have been taking 300mg ranitidine nightly for several years. I take 75mg aspirin daily. Although I have higher cholesterol than desired (6.3 at last blood test May 2009) I stopped taking statins 2 years ago as I was suffering from severe cramping in both legs. I have been taking a natural remedy, soya lecithin for almost a year and will see what that has done when I have my next blood test this May. I also take evening primrose, omega 3+6, glucosamine (for arthritis) and a multi vitamin pill - all of which I have been taking for years. I have no other signs and symptoms, no pain anywhere other than my abdomen.
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 6 years ago.
OK. THANK YOU FOR YOUR REALLY DETAILED FEEDBACK. ONE LAST THING I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IS THAT DO YOU HAVE ANY FEVER OR VOMITING ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CURRENT PROBLEM. ANY MOUTH RASHES, EYE OR NEW JOINT SYMPTOMS APART FROM YOUR CONTINUING ARTHRITIS PAIN
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing different from normal.
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 6 years ago.
RIGHT. WHAT IT SEEMS LIKE FROM YOUR SYMPTOMS IS THAT YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEM WITH YOUR ABSORPTION IN INTESTINE AND THE LIKELY PART INVOLVED IS THE SMALL BOWEL OR THE INITIAL SEGMENT OF INTESTINE.THE GLOBULES YOU JUST MENTIONED ARE PROBABLY UNDIGESTED FAT AND FOOD PARTICLES. THIS PART OF INTESTINE IS MOSTLY CONCERNED WITH DIGESTION AND ABSORPTION OF VARIOUS FOOD ELEMENTS. COMMONEST REASON IS USUALLY CHANGE IN FOOD AS SOME PEOPLE ARE ALLERGIC TO CERTAIN TYPES OF FOOD. BUT IF IT IS PERSISTING FOR SOME WEEKS THEN LIKELY TO BE MAL ABSORPTION PROBLEM. REALLY CAN HAVE A LOTS OF DIFFERENT DISEASES UNDERLYING IT WHICH CERTAINLY NEEDS TO BE WORKED UP EITHER BY SIMPLE BLOOD OR STOOL TESTS OR IF REQUIRED MAY NEED UPPER INTESTINE ENDOSCOPY. SOME PEOPLE CAN DEVELOP DIVERTICULAE OF UPPER BOWEL WHICH CAN HARBOR BACTERIA AND CAUSES MAL ABSORPTION. OTHERS LIKE COELIAC DISEASE CAN PRESENT FOR THE FIRST TIME LIKE THIS. SO YOU SHOULD CONSULT A GASTROENTEROLOGIST FOR FURTHER WORKUP BECAUSE IF NOT PICKED UP THEN IT CAN CAUSE YOU WEIGHT LOSS AND WEAKNESS. ONE THING I WOULD LIKE TO CHECK IS ABOUT ANY ALCOHOL INTAKE? IF ANY THEN WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO JUST AVOID IT TILL THE PROBLEM IS CLARIFIED. HOPE THAT THIS WILL BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU. IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE TO ANSWER IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUERIES