Dr.K.S.Dastoor, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. D.N.B. Gen Surg, FIAGES

I have early detection of anterior osteophyte formation in

I have early detection of anterior osteophyte formation in L2/L3 as wel as L5/S1 with prominent narrowed disc space on level L5/S1. I am 34 and apparently this is not the normal age for this condition. My physio therapist has indicated that I don't need an operation but that pilates exercise would be able to assist me. The x-rays also indicated paravertebrale degenerative changes on level L5/S1. Your opinion will be highly appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.K.S.Dastoor replied 6 years ago.
Well, Could you tell me a few things.........................
I am supposing you have got an x-ray done and not an MRI, which is the first thing you should do. You will need to know about the nerve root and spinal compression. Tell me, what are the exact symptoms you are facing at present? Which is worse, the back pain or the leg pain?? And what is your occupation?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Lower back pain is worse, it comes and goes and sometimes I get spams in my left buttock. I am a project manager, therefore sitting at a desk in front of my computer the whole day. I also have 2 year old twin boys who I pick up daily and bend down at night over their camp cots where they sleep...

I had an x-ray done which showed all the information I gave in my first question. Should I have an MRI as well? According to the physio this would be the only way to see if the disc has ruptured?

Yes, I do think an MRI should be done. It will tell you the extent of the damage in your spine. Your job and home need you to be doing things that are bad for your back, so you will have to take counter-measures. You need to get up from your desk and walk around, even if it is just for 2 min every 30-45 min. Do not sit at your desk for extended periods. This is a vital aspect. You should meet up with your physiotherapist and ask her, after your acute phase of pain subsides, as to what exercises are best for you to strengthen your lower back. They are to be done a minimum of 3-4 times a day, even if it is just for 5-10 min each. It is the frequency which is more important and not how long at a stretch you do it.....
The spasms in your buttock are from a nerve compression, so all the more reason an MRI should be done.

If this does not subside, please see a spine specialist and consider going in for a surgery called micro-discectomy, which is very helpful in relieving the symptoms and you can be back at work in 15 days.

Also, please sleep at night without a pillow underneath your head.