Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

The end knuckle on my little finger is swollen, sore & if the

The end knuckle on my little finger is swollen, sore & if the end of the finger is moved sideways it clicks & is rather loose at the joint.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question,

Do you have any previous medical problems ?

is there any redness and tenderness on that joint ?

Have you done any tests ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Heart Attack 8 months ago.
something like tennis elbow on same arm as finger problem

yes, redness & rather tender especially when bumped

No tests, just looked at by GP

Thank you for your input,

since how many days you have this problem ?

did your GP started any medicine ?

did he preformed any tests ?

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 2/2/2010 at 8:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
GP gave anti biotics, 3 different ones over 3 weeks

no proper tests done

Thank you for your input,

did the antibiotics worked ?? pain improved ? swelling decreased ?

is there any fever ?

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 2/2/2010 at 8:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No,anti biotics didn't work, still sore, swollen.
Swelling down slightly within first few days of taking medication
no fever

Thank you for your input,

As this is a single joint problem, it started after some blister on that joint plus there are

symptoms and signs of inflammation so your doctor was right in starting antibiotics as

most such cases are due to infection in the joints.

As this problem has not settled with antibiotics, this can be due to sub clinical dose of

the antibiotics or due to resistance of the infecting organism to the antibiotics or this

problem can be due to arthritis.

Here you have options like

get blood tests, aspiration of the fluid from the joint and sending it for tests will help not

only to find the cause but also will help to start the proper treatment that will give good

results.

I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Sir,

I didn't accept as i never got an answer to my problem, i have only been told what options i have, i thought i would be given a reason for my finger condition & then what HAS to be done to cure it.
Thankyou, i await your reply>

Thank you for your input,

sorry for late reply as i was off line.

your problem seems to be a complicated infection of the joint as it has not responded to

multiple courses of antibiotics so this can be due to resistance of the infecting organism

to the antibiotics or sub clinical dose of antibiotics, other causes of lack of response to

the antibiotics is fungal infection, low immunity of the body due to diseases like diabetes,

person taking steroids also have poor healing of the infections.

So in this case it is very important for you to get the fluid from the joint to be tested to

see for causing organism as it seems to be the right way to properly treat this problem.

I hope this answers your question.
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K