Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

What would cause pimples on labia minora?

what would cause pimples on labia minora. I am perimenopausal (6 mths without period) and also have life long acne.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 years ago.

Hi.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Can I ask you a few questions.

Q. How many pimples are there? One or multiple?

Q. Are they red and itchy?

Q. Are they hard and like bumps?

Q. Do they have fluid in them, do they discharge it or are they solid?

Q. Are you sexually active?

Q. Do the pimples resemble the acne pimples on the face?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There were two about 3 inches apart.

No, they were not red or itchy.

No, they were not hard.

No, no discharge, but they did have a white head like a pimple. I did not try to do anything to them. I noticed they are gone now.

Yes, they did resemble acne pimples on the face.

I also have stress incontinence and wear a pad all the time, could this have some implication along with my changing hormones. I never let that area breath.

I am married but have not have sexual relations with my husband in about 4 months.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

You've solved the problem by answering the questions, congratulations.

On the labia minora there are glands called Bartholin glands and also sebaceous glands.

These glands function to discharge secretions that keep the area moist and helps reduce friction during sexual intercourse.

Sometimes, these bartholin glands or sebaceous glands become blocked and there secretions acculmulate inside, they form cysts or small pimples like acne and then gradually dry off or pop. if they are small they can be left alone.

Only sometimes, they get infected and form an abscess, the patient experience extreme tenderness over them and they cause a great deal of discomfort. There is fever also. If an abscess forms formal antibiotic therapy and an incision and drainage by the surgeon is warranted.

In your case the pimples were due to your body's predisposition to them and also because you've been using a pad to help with your stress incontinence.

In my opinion you should keep your genital area as dry and clean as possible. Use pads with good absorpative abilities and keep changing them frequently.

You can use powders available in the pharmacies to keep the area dry also.

Hope I helped.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The area feels a little tender and I think I may be getting a yeast infection because it felt itchy in vagina area earlier and I noticed some whitish smegma. Could this be have been a factor also?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 years ago.

You didn't mention the discharge before. White discharge from the Vagina along with tenderness or soreness.

There is usually a thick, white vaginal discharge that looks like cottage cheese and does not have a bad smell.

There are certain over the counter medicines to treat a yeast infection but it warrants a complete pelvic exam and a lab test or quick look under the microscope to identify the problem. The dcotor can also perform some other tests so as to find out what caused the infection. Since, you are not sexually active.

In a yeast infection you would have burning while you pass urine and also a rash on the vagina, but you didn't mention you had these.

Such conditions need a careful and complete examination to be carried out in your Gyn-Obs clinic. So, I would advise that you get a doctor's appointment when you see fit. In your age group such examinations should be carried out 6 monthky or annually.

Hope you get well soon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think the area is a little sore where the pimples were. The discharge is not cottage cheese type it is more like thin normal whitish discharge. It does not burn on urinating nor rash on vagina. Could it be vaginitis. It has been at least 6 months since my last gyn check-up, which was normal. I will make an appointment soon.Thank you for answering my questions Dr. Uzair. You have been helpful in answering. I think you are correct about the pimples. I get scared when things like this come up. I have so much stress because of nursing school and finances. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 years ago.
My pleasure. Get well soon.