HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience:  Licensed by the State of New York
18801144

I had a chest xray done awhile back and there was a spot on

Customer Question

I had a chest xray done awhile back and there was a spot on each of my lungs yes smoker. but then they redid it and put a sticker on each of my nipples and said it was my nipples showing up on the xray. does this sound right ? because the 2nd xray they did showed the same thing with the stickers please help im freaking out. they are not requesting no more test or xrays
Category: Medical
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 4 years ago.

Nipple shadows are apparent in 10% of chest x-rays. The shadow is caused by the fact that the nipple normally protrudes outwardly from the surrounding tissue and upon contacting a flat surface, an arch shaped air space is created which looks like a shadow on the film. When a lateral film is taken, the anomaly is not seen which suggests that it is simply a shadow not any thing more than that. Therefore what the x-ray technician told you is correct. As long as a radiologist looked at the x-rays with and without nipple markers, as well as with a lateral film, then you have nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what do you mean by lateral film ? all i know is i had a xray done they seen a spot and had me go back and get another xray done and the lady said let me put these 2 stickers on your nipples and she did and she told me they were my nipples and i heard nothing more the doctor said he would call if it was anything and he never did /
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would it still be safe to say this is what it was considering that my nipples never showed up on xrays before ?
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 4 years ago.

Most x-ray films are done as PA and lateral. A PA film is done by you standing facing into the x-ray film such as the x-ray are shot from behind you. A lateral film is done by you standing at a 90 degree angle to the x-ray film and the x-rays are shot at you from the side. Finally nipple shadows do not always have to show up on an x-ray, they only show up 10% of the time. If they did not do a lateral x-ray it may be a good idea to ask your doctor if to do it just so that it will give the both of you some peace of mind.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i wanted to ask you more thing before i pay . do you belive in God Dr Amit ? i had a lady tell me that GOD allowed her to see in my lungs and she seen precancer lessions but she prayed and they were gone this sent me to pure panic attack which i have very badly. thats what made me think of this xray i had done almost a year ago. #2 also would my doctor be able to tell if you got cancer by lisoning to your lungs and wouldnt it show up on blood work as well to ?
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 4 years ago.

To answer your question, yes I do believe in God. What I do not believe in is people who claim to have special powers and make claims that can not be proven or disproven (may be that's the skeptic/scientist in me). The only thing that I'm willing to take on faith is that God exists and I'm willing to accept that without any proof. In terms of the x-ray, I really do not think you have anything to worry about. Usually doctors cannot tell by just listening to someone's lungs if they have cancer. This is the reason why we have so many radiological imaging techniques. In terms of blood work, this can be helpful in diagnosing cancer when doctors look for specific markers such as CEA, Parathyroid Hormone, cytokeratin fragment 19, etc. However blood work alone does not help diagnose cancer. Diagnosing cancer requires a combination of physical exam, blood work and radiological exams. Each test works to confirm a diagnosis. Even radiological images are not sufficient on their own as sometimes seeing is not always believing as evidenced by your experience with the nipple shadows.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you have been so awesome and GOD bless you for helping me. I feel more at ease. but more then likely will ask my Docotor to do a xray he may not do it because it will feed in to my panic and anxiety attacks I have as he sees me at lest 3 times a month to check me and reassure me of thing.s thank you s omuch please let me know you got this so i can go ahead and pay you again thank you so much and would u do me a favor and keep me in your prayers my name is Rhonda and I do want to be ok and I am 35 almost 36 a mother to 6 children to.
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 4 years ago.

Yes you will most definitely be in my prayers. I'm sure that things will turn out the best for you. Just keep your faith in God. What doctors can't fix, God can!

HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience: Licensed by the State of New York
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i ment to tell you that when they showed up on lungs it was one in each and they were round does that sound right for nipples showing up
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i ment to tell u when it showed up on both lungs it was round does that sound right for the nipples on xray showing up
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 4 years ago.

As I said I don't think you need to worry. Your description sounds very much like a nipple shadow.