Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Why is the left side of my heart working harder than the right

Why is the left side of my heart working harder than the right? This is what a reason EKG shows. I have been referred to a Cardiologist for a consult this coming Thursday. I also have been recently diagnosed with ADHD and I am 47 years old and my primary care physician just wants to make sure that my heart is healthy enough for ADHD medication.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 years ago.

Did he say what changes were on the EKG?

Do you have any other chronic medical problems?

Are you on any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just the left wavelength was slightly higher than the right side. My recnet blood pressure is 124/86, taken this past Tuesday. The doctor listened to my heart, and it was beating faster on the left side again. Also, I am taking Effexor XR 150mg. for depression and anxiety, also Lipitor 10mg., Singlular, 10mg, Advair for Asthma, 500/50, Claritin D-24hr, Protex 10mg for acid reflux, alprolazam, .05mg for agitation.

Thank you for the additional information.

The left side of the heart always works harder than the right side because the left side of the heart has to generate sufficient pressure to overcome the blood pressure in the arteries of the body, whereas the right side only has to generate sufficient pressure to overcome the blood pressure in the arteries of the lung. Since the body's blood pressure is much higher than the blood pressure in the lungs, the left side always has to work harder.

The changes on the EKG are probably reflecting that the left side of the heart is having to work harder than usual, but without showing that the right side is similarly affected, such as hypertrophy of the left ventricle. There are several possible causes of the heart having to work harder. The heart can be forced to work harder because it has to generate higher pressures, such as from high blood pressure or a narrowed valve. It also may have to work hard because of excess volume, such as from a leaking valve. The evaluation of the Cardiologist will be able to determine the nature of the problem.