Doctor Ellis
Doctor Ellis, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor
23567909

I have had a stitch-like pain just below my ribs on my right

I have had a stitch-like pain just below my ribs on my right side for over three weeks. I had a kidney infection which has been treated with antibiotics. The pain I have started with just having a sensation under my ribs towards the centre of my body. Now the pain comes and goes and can extend from just under the middle point of my right ribs right around my waist on the right side. I have had a similar pain (but not nearly so severe or persistent) on the other side under my left ribs, but this is transient. I can't work out if it is associated with food or not. I can relieve the pain by bending backwards. As soon as I lie down in bed it gets better and does not disturb me overnight. I have had a scan which showed nothing. Can you help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Ellis replied 4 years ago.

what kind of scan did you have? CT scan? Ultrasound? Xray?

what other medical problems do you have?

have you had blood work done? results?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ultrasound of abdomen. Consultant Radiographer stated that pancreas looked ok, gall bladder had no sign of stones or thickened walls. No cysts or other lumps detected (not sure if scan can see in stomach?). I know it can't see in bowel as doctor mentioned this. I have no other medical problems, take no drugs and am fit and well - 5ft 6ins tall and weigh 9st 3lbs. Blood tests done at the time of scan - cholesterol 3.3, CT125 was 5 and normal, no other abnormalities detected. I had an operation for borderline ovarian cyst in 2005, no follow up required and have had no problems since. Full hysterectomy, salpingectomy, etc. Had some problems immediately after the operation and for about 6 months with severe stitch like cramping pain low down on right side, severe enough to make me call the paramedics during one attack. This gradually resolved, but lately I have had similar twinges again but nothing nearly as severe as before.

There are a few things that it could be in that area.

The gallbladder still could be the problem - a condition called biliary dyskinesia. There are no stones in this. A Hepatobilliary scan could show this.

The pancreas is not visualized well with an Ultrasound because the small intestines lie over it. A CTscan is a much better test.

An Endoscopy looks into the stomach for inflammation or ulcers. This is a good test if everything else is negative.

As for blood tests, you need:

liver function testing

pancreas testing - amylase and lipase

H. Pylori

CBC - blood count

I hope this is helpful.

if so, please click on the green ACCEPT button.

good luck and best wishes!

Doctor Ellis, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the problem was stomach related, do you think I would have more problems after eating,or not eating for a time, etc or any nausea or sickness? Also, if the problem was pancreas, do you think I would be feeling unwell. Why are you suggesting liver function test and also H Pylori - I though that was a possible cause of an ulcer and I don't get any pain on eating or on being hungry. I totally accept your advice, but would just like some clarification on these points. If the problem was gall bladder (and that was my first reaction as my symptoms are similar (but less accute)to the problems my daughter had before she had to have her gall bladder removed aged 26), Could I track if it was gall bladder by noting symptoms after I eat and what I eat? I am going back to my GP, but quite frankly they are a bit baffled. The Consultant Radiographer told me that some sort of inflammation of the gallbladder was very unusual? I thought different and that it was more common. Because of the problem I had in 2005, I have been very worried about this pain and am keen to get to the bottom of what is causing it. Thank you for your help.