Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS

I get internal foot itches. Not external it is deep inside

I get internal foot itches. Not external it is deep inside my feet. It can happen day or night. . I see a number of people on line discribe the exact thing but no one knows what it is.It is a painful internal itch.

Thank you for your question,

is there any rash on that area?

can you explain the area exactly ?

is this problem on both feet ?

any medical illness ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no rash or bumps this is inside my foot. It can happen on either foot in any location from hall to arch to heel. Sometimes it will happen for a few days then not for a month or more.

Thank you for your input,

is there any numbness or tingling sensation over this area ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there can be tingling in between the big itch attacks. This will last for 30 minutes or more. I had a big itching episode this morning in my heel is still tingling it has been around thirty minutes. But it will suddenly go away when it is over, it can go away for a day or a month you never know.

Thank you for your input,

There are few causes that need to be considered with symptoms of itching and tingling of the feet.

they include

circulatory problems

celiac disease

biliary disease

vitamin deficiency.

as this problem is in both feet and there is no rash or any skin abnormality so i have not

included fungal infections, allergy, dermatitis in the possible diagnosis list.

To exactly diagnose the cause you may need tests for the problems that i have mentioned.

I hope this helped.

If you have any further questions please ask

do not press accept unless you are satisfied with my response.

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 1/30/2010 at 5:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I am very careful about nutrition and take very good vitamins. I also have had a recent complete blood work up and no deficiency was found.

Thank you for your input,

I may not be able to help further so i will opt out of this question and leave this question open for other experts on the site.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you

From the description you have given these symptoms are likely to be due to neuropathy. Causes include

You can see the following link for more information on peripheral neuropathy

(though itching has not been given in this article as a symptom of neuropathy it is an uncommon symptom of peripheral neuropathy. Also the feature of night time or early morning episodes and presence of numbness favor the diagnosis)

An EMG /NCV examination would also help to reach a diagnosis. If nothing is found on this EMG/NCV study a skin biopsy may be required as
analysis of epidermal nerve fiber density is useful to diagnose small fiber neuropathy in contrast to EMG/NCV which is useful to diagnose large fiber neuropathy.

Meanwhile you may start on Lyrica or Duolexetine which will help decrease your symptoms and are approved by US FDA for this use. These are available only with prescription.

Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MS