Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

how to tell if pinched nerve is causing tremors

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Where are your tremors?
Have you had any testing done?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tremors in head upper body hands and arm areas- had shoulder blade/back injury about year ago and dr said was pinched nerve- did some therapy but didnt help-started having tremors since then and are getting to be all the time now-also having leg cramps and feet swelling low back pain and stiffness

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the details,

I would recommend seeing a neurologist for an evaluation if you have not done so yet.
An EMG/nerve conduction test will evaluate for a pinched nerve. You may also need an MRI of the back/neck/brain. Pinched nerves usually do not cause a tremor of the head.

Your regular doctor can do some blood work regarding the leg cramps (thyroid, electrolytes, blood sugar, etc).

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what are the possibilities of having Parkinsons because the tremors seem like it could be but have not had any of the symptoms prior to the injury?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Are the tremors more with movement or at rest?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

both at movement and at rest but more when streesed than any other time -thought it could be because of vitamin deficiency causing them to be worse but not sure-because wasnt eating because of pain-lost 60 pounds very quickly

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry you have been going through this. It sounds like you have been having a rough time.

While Parkinson's is possible, I think it is unlikely. A head tremor is more likely to be related to something called an essential tremor. The cause of this type of tremor is unknown. In some cases, there is a family history.

Again, a neurologist would be best in diagnosing you after an exam and testing. If an essential tremor is the ultimate diagnosis, there are medications that are helpful in controlling the tremor.

Here is some more information for you if you would like to read about essential tremor.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/essential-tremor/DS00367

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well i was confused because everything i read about it says that it comes on slowly and progresses and this started happening all of a sudden 1 day-is this how an essential tremor would happen?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are correct, it usually does start gradually. So does Parkinson's.

The tremors that you have do not fit one type perfectly. That is why it is hard to say exactly what it is....and why I recommend that you see a neurologist who will be able to best diagnose the underlying cause.

You will likely need further testing before a diagnosis can be made.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.

Take care,

Dr Abby