Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

im throwing up red liquid and having diarrhea. what can this

im throwing up red liquid and having diarrhea. what can this be? i do train very hard. including using a hammer on my stomach...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Have you had anything red recently?
How long has this been going on?
Are you having any dizziness? Chest pain? Fever?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this started around 2:40 am, (its now 4:40 am where i am at ). i woke up feeling sick. and had diarhea, felt like maybe i ate something wrong. so tried to stick fingers down my throat to make myself vomit. the vomit (very little of it) came out beign light red. .. after which i felt a little better. than decided to drink a bunch of water and make myself vomit again (to clean my stomach). drank water. couldnt vomit. layd back down in bed, than a little while later had to get up and vomited a bunch of red liquid. medium red in color. i did workout today (finished around 9 pm) my workouts include using a hammer on my stomach for conditioning (yes i know not the smartest).... now im having diarhea again. im just concerned for it not to be internal bleeding. i hope its not...no dizziness. no chest pain. dont know about the fever. blood pressure around 140 /80. having diarhea again. my esophogous is burning.... mild pain in stomacch (right in the area where i used the hammer) center of stomach... but not more than usual.... as far as anything red. not really, i mean a few cherries , my protein shake is orange in color.... the stool has no blood in it. but it is diarhea
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the details,

I am sorry you are not feeling well.

I am concerned that you are having bleeding given the red color of your vomit. I recommend that you get checked out. I am not convinced it would be caused by the hammer that you use....but it is possible. The more common causes are ulcers and tears from wretching while vomiting.

Watch your stool/diarrhea for any black or tarry appearance. This is also a sign of bleeding in the upper GI tract.

I would go to the emergency room to be checked out.

I hope that you feel better.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how urgent is it to go to the emergency room. do i have time to wait and see if i feel better first?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
No matter what, it needs to be checked out. Either by your regular doctor this morning or the emergency room if you continue to vomit.

If you don't vomit any more, then see your doctor this morning.
But, if you do or if you develop abdominal pain, chest pain, dizziness, shortness of breath then go to the emergency room.

Dr Abby
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, so if i continue to vomit i should go 2 emergency room but if not than just regular dr in the am.? if it was internal bleeding wouldnt blood pressure drop?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Yes, if you continue to vomit red liquid, go to emergency room.

If you have small amounts of internal bleeding and are otherwise healthy, your body will be able to maintain your blood pressure initially. So you cannot count on your blood pressure as an indicator of internal bleeding.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how dangerous is this internal bleeding if its not major. is it life threatening? can my body heal it on its own if it is a bleeding? sorry for so many questions. im just worried.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You have no need to apologize. I completely understand your concerns.

To be honest, it is a hard question to answer without knowing the source of the bleeding. Because you are young and healthy, it is less likely that it is due to an underlying serious health problem, but any GI bleed can be serious and life threatening if it becomes heavy.

If it is due to an ulcer, it is completely treatable/curable but needs to be diagnosed by your doctor so that you can be started on the appropriate treatment. Many ulcers are caused by a bacteria called H. pylori. If you have this bacteria, it is treated with antibiotics and acid blocker medications.

If it is due to trauma to the stomach, then your body may heal on its own.

You need to have your doctor check you out in order to determine the source and cause. If it is minor bleeding, it is not dangerous unless it goes untreated. If it is untreated and continues, you can slowly become anemic, which causes other health problems (shortness of breath, dizziness, stress on the heart, etc).

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
shouldi chek my body temperature?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You can. If it is elevated, it would indicate you are developing a viral infection that has led to the vomiting.

It would not change my recommendations regarding getting checked out though.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank u
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.

I hope that you feel better.

Take care.

Dr Abby