Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced U.S. Primary Care Physician treating children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.
25897591

I frequently vomit for no reason at all. Sometimes I am only

I frequently vomit for no reason at all. Sometimes I am only vomiting stomach acid. This has been happening since I had my children. (around 13 years). I vomit around 2 to 4 times a month. Is it just reflux?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 4 years ago.

By vomiting do you mean stomach contents or juices come up to your mouth and you need to spit it out or frank vomiting that is difficult to control?

Are your symptoms worse after a meal, esp. spicy foods?

Do you have difficulty swallowing liquids or solids?

Do you feel nauseated?

Have you been formally diagnosed with GER or is it suspected self-diagnosis?

Do you have heartburn?

Any medical problems or medications?

Is your weight normal for your height?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I completely throw up, until everything in my stomach is gone. Sometimes I haven't eaten for hours. It is usually worse at night if I lay down to soon after dinner. I am over weight.

I have not formally seen a doctor. I am usually very healthy, with strong resistance. When my children come down with bugs, I usually don't get them. I am on no medicine. I do have heartburn quite often, and I take a zantac every night.

Expert:  Dr. Monica replied 4 years ago.
Hello- as the other expert is offline, perhaps I can help you.

Some of your symptoms sound like it could be reflux- like the fact that it is worse if you lay down after eating and your heartburn symptoms that zantac helps.

But the fact that you vomit until your stomach is empty is concerning, especially when you haven't even eaten recently. There are a couple of suggestions I have. First, I think that you should go to your doctor since this has happened for years and 2-4 times a month means it must be affecting your quality of life. Your doctor can check your blood for the H. Pylori bug, which is the bug that causes ulcers. If you are positive for this, your doctor can prescribe a course of 3 medicines that you need to take for 2 weeks.

If you are negative for H. Pylori, or if you get treated and it doesn't help your vomiting, then I think you need an endoscopy. This is when a GI doctor will look down your esophagus and stomach with a camera to look for any abnormalities. The most worrisome thing would be cancer, but the fact that you have had this for 13 years and are not losing wieght, getting worse, and suffering from severe pain makes this option less fairly unlikely. Otherwise, there are other esophageal abnormalities that need to be ruled out, and the endoscopy can do this.

In the meantime, if you want to do a trial of over the counter Prilosec until you see your doctor, this could help if it is indeed just severe reflux. But I do not think that you should avoid getting a work-up to find out why you have these symptoms.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can assist you further.

Best,
Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced U.S. Primary Care Physician treating children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.

Actually, I'm online.
I don't think your issue is that simple, but since the other expert repsonded, I'll let her continue.
I had a family issue to tend to and, unfortunately, could not respond immediately.
I'll be happy to continue if you wish.

Edited by Dr. Sevigny on 1/29/2010 at 3:20 AM EST