Dr. Rogala
Dr. Rogala, Board Certified Emergency Physician
Experience:  15 years experience, Workmen's Comp, Medical Review Officer
27764473

I have been suffering nausea for over a month now. The nausea

I have been suffering nausea for over a month now. The nausea occours after eating and I am unable to be active for several hours after eating. I've been on Nexium for the past five years or more. No weight loss and othewise healthy.

Thank you for your question.

Have you had a workup including an ultrasound of the gallbladder?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have not had an ultrasound of the gallbladder.

Gallbladder pain can just be symptomatic as nausea after eating, or epigastric (upper middle pain) or pain in the right upper quadrant. Many patients are given antacids and treated for GERd and later found to have gallstones.

Also, you may need a test done called H. Pylori to see if you have gasritis caused by this bacteria.

So you will need to see a physician and get a workup done.

Also, you did not mention if you have a heart condition or not. Sometimes nausea after eating is the only symtpom of a cardiac problem.

Hope this he;os. Please click accept if you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not bee diagnosed with any heat condition. What type of heart conditions are there where nausea after eating occurs?

A heart attack. So you need to have an EKG, but you also need the other tests I have mentioned.

If those are negative, you may in fact, have GERD or a hiatal hernia.

I read your feedback. Gaviscon is an over the counter antacid. Once I explained all the causes of the nausea and what you should really do about it, I did not think discussing Gaviscon was going to add to the discussion.

If the nausea is from your gallbladder, it does not matter what you take, as the gallbladder would have to come out.

If it is your heart, the antacid will only mask the symptoms.

If it is H.Pylori or a hiatal hernia, the antacid will bring temporary relief. You would need different more effective medication.

So, I hope I have addressed the medication question you had.

Also, Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor and would only help if the cause were GERD or a hiatal hernia. So the botXXXXX XXXXXne, is that you need to be evaluated to find a proper diagnosis.