Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I began having like a nervous twitch near my anus about 2 months

I began having like a nervous twitch near my anus about 2 months ago, and it happens every 15 seconds when im sitting down and less when im standing. It just happened one day sitting in a cafe and hasnt stoped Since but I week before that I had a Tunia Massage which was quite violent, also since then I have had the problem that I have not been able to empty my bowls properly when I strain to go to the toilet the power dosnt seem to be there anymore. I get most of it out, but the muscles giveup near the end and cant I complete my bowl movement. My bowl movements are still regualar, no blood or pain and stools are normal size. Im backpacking in china and seen a doctor who checked out the area down there and all seemed ok apart from the opening of the anus was a little swollen which has now gone down with anti bioitics but due to translation problems I could not explain the twitching and incomplete bowl movements. Any Ideas ?? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

A vigorous massage may be responsible for the muscle fiber rupture leading to twitch and weakness of the bowel muscle (called as pelvic floor muscles which mainly is Levator ani muscle). Following can help you;

1) Warm sitz bath twice a day; Put warm water in a tub and sit in it for 15 minutes.

2) Pelvic floor exercise (Kegel exercise). See the resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kegel-exercises/WO00119

If these measures are less effective, electrical stimulation in physical therapy centers with biofeedback is the next step of the management.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, would the muscle fibre reapair itself over time ? as its been nearly 2 months now and the twitching is happening 24/7 and its driving me nuts as well as the feeling of incomplete bowl movement and why does it only seem to be twtiching more when im sitting down? I am also doing 6 hours of kung fu and tai chi a day could that cause more perment damage. I've checked in the area of china that im studying in and the only type of electric stimulation avaible is electric accupunture, would this aid the reovery process.

Electric acupuncture would help in the healing. These kind of muscle injuries take sometimes three moths or more to heal as the muscle cannot be completely rested. Kung-Fu or Tai-Chi may not cause permanent damage but slight delay in healing may occur. If there is no significant discomfort or pain during practicing, you may continue it. You may consider consulting a gastroenterologist of a general surgeon whom may contemplate proctoscopy or anoscopy (examination of anus and rectum by a scope). These muscles repair on their own and warm sitz bath, specific perineal exercises and electrical stimulation will help in facilitating the healing. Depending on the injury of particular fibers (particular part of the muscles), the discomfort occurs in various postures. That does not happen when you sitting down does not signify anything in particular, so you should not worry.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist