Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

how long does it take for a person to freeze to death outdoors

how long does it take for a person to freeze to death outdoors in 15 degrees and they weigh 325 lbs?
In which reference do you want this answer?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my friend was found dead outdoors in 15 degrees and I'm wondering if they died from freezing or if they died of a heart attack. in other words, could they have just died from freezing alone?
In case of temperature less then 20 degree & where body temperature falls beneath the 77degree F then death may occur due to cardiac stand still.

Hope this will be helpful.

--------------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what does cardiac stand still mean. does the cold stop the heart? my friend was in the cold for approx. 3 hours and found not breathing. I just wondering if the cold killed them or would a heart attack have to also be a cause.
The cold weather is sufficient to lead to IHD due to constriction of blood vessels as may be seen with increase in mortality during the winter -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9519127?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_SingleItemSupl.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

As your friend was also an overweight person then most probably a longer then 45 minute exposure upto which a human body can accommodate itself at low temperature,had lead to severe decrease in blood supply to heart & death.

Hope this will help you.

---------------------------------------------------