Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Dr. Oz, I suffer from peripheral neuropathy in my legs and

Dr. Oz,
I suffer from peripheral neuropathy in my legs and feet. I had many tests done and specialists don't seem to know which treatment could be done for that. I take neurontin (4) per day to get a little bit of relief. Walking is very very painful for me. I had cortizone injections to relieve the pain but the last 2 ones, it didn't work a long time. I would like your input please.
Denyse
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 years ago.
Im sorry to hear about your problem, but i fell i should let you know that this site is NOT affiliated with Dr.Oz or his show however if you would like treatment options for your peripheral neuropathy i believe i can give you a few which you might nt have trried yet, but i will need a couple of questions answered first,

What other medications apart from neurontin have you tried for this?
Any other treatments which you have tried?
Do you have any other medical conditions? medications?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Neurontin is the only one beside Tylenol Xtra, Aleve.

Acupuncture ( I also do Aerobics at the pool).

High blood pression.

Thanks for the additional information,

Well peripheral neuropathy is a difficult thing to deal with and the most important thing in order to treat this disease is determining the cause because treating the underlying cause can cause the symptoms to regress or atleast improve over time. So if the cause for your disease is not found, then efforts have to made to detrmine the cause as soon as possible.
One of the major causes is diabetes alongwith B12 deficiency, toxins like heavy metals, infections like with EBV and Herpes viruses alongwith several other causes which you can find in the link ill provide at the end of my answer.

Now the treatment options are quite a few and ill give you some of them here which you can discuss with your doctors and ask them to implement them,

DRUGS
The first one is that you can have the doctors try a different drug, because in every case the drug whcih is the most effective is different, now the other drugs which can be tried for you or added to your regimen are,

Lyrica
TCA antidepressants
Carbamezapine
B12 supplements (you should start these regradless as they help in certain cases as well and wont harm you in anyway)

TENS therapy
This is a procedure or device which uses electrical current to stimulate the nerves and thus can be used to provide pain relief from the symptoms that youre experiencing. This is a small device which can be worn at home and thus can provide you with relief 24 hrs a day

Lidocaine patch.
This patch contains the topical anesthetic lidocaine. You apply it to the area where your pain is most severe, and you can use up to four patches a day to relieve pain. This treatment has almost no side effects except, for some people, a rash at the site of the patch.

Now there are other options like spinal stimulators and surgery like nerve blocks but they are still in the experimental stage for peripheral neuropathy but have been implemented succesfully in other conditions like post herpetic neuralgia. This involves placing a TENS like device in the spine which would stimulate the nerves leaving from the spine and thus decreasing the pain in your legs. Also they can be place under the skin in the legs thus preventing the pain impulses from travelling to your pain recognition centers.

Nerve blocks can also be used to dull the nerves to help you have pain relief. Here is some more information about peripheral neuropathy and its causes plus home remedies which you cna try,

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131

I hope this helps

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.