Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

what causes my ankles feet and hands to swell overnight

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
May I ask how old you are?
Do you have any medical problems?
Are you taking any medications?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I am 74. I am in generally good health except for asthma. I control it with theophyllin

and mostly now a nebulizer since i no longer can get my main meds-my

cfc inhaler. I am now using an inhaler salbuterol which is the best replacement

that i can get I am extremely allergic to the other new ones so I rely mostly on

albuterol nebulizer. The swelling seems to go away after I am up and about for abit

and sometimes my lips feel swollen. Sometimes my hands are red also and feel kinda itchy..once in awhile i have bronchitis and take cephalexin for that.

I think I have covered everything. oh yes, i take a benedry also. I am not a big salt eater.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your input - this is much appreciated.
But, for you, as we age, the blood does not get pumped as efficiently and hence pools in our extremities. During the day, when you are moving around, your blood returns to your heart/lungs from your legs because as you walk, your muscles are actually 'pumping' the blood up, and normally when we are younger, your body can pump the blood more efficiently and affectively, but your heart does not have the ability to do this as well. And, as your blood 'pools', there is concern for blood clots, and this can cause itching too - there are things that you can do to help - such as exercising, and wearing stockings at night. I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, if you have further questions, please ask.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
If you need more information, please ask, thank you.