Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have been belching for the last 2 days. It feels like I would

I have been belching for the last 2 days. It feels like I would feel before I throw up. Or like something wants to come up, but it is just a belch or burp. What should I do to alleviate this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
Try the following which may help you reduce the amount of gas that you have. If this feeling persisst you need to be examined by your doctor because The symptoms are nonspecific symptoms and can be related to your gastrointestinal tract or cardiac type problem. Also you may have reflux esophagitis or a peptic ulcer. This may also be the beginning of a viral gastroenteritis. When a person has excess gas causing bloating, belching and excessive flatus the majority of the gas comes from swallowed air. Some amount of gas is produced by bacteria acting upon the food that you eat. With that in mind it is important to try to limit the amount of air that you take into your system. It is important to eat slowly and not gulp down your food. It also is helpful to not drink with meals and wait for 10 or 15 minutes until after you finish eating. Drinking tends to introduce air into the stomach. Also it is important to avoid carbonated beverages and also certain foods that tend to form gas such as beans, broccoli, and cabbage. As a person ages they become less able to absorb the sugar in milk (lactose) and is actually the primary producer of gas. Try to avoid too much dairy. Over the counter anti-gas preparations are helpful in breaking up large pockets or bubbles of gas and forming smaller ones making the gas easier to expel. Try to obtain products that have simethicone in them and take as directed. Something that is not proven but may be helpful is to take probiotic drinks such as Activia. I hope this advice helps you.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.