Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

urgent bowel movements after eating

urgent bowel movements after eating
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. Bowel movements that occur immediately after eating have nothing to do with the meal that was just eaten. The digestive path that your food must travel between your mouth and your bottom is long, twisty, and will cause a delay of at least a few hours.

What is a Bowel Movement Immediately After Eating?

A bowel movement that happens just after eating happens because of food that was eaten several hours, possibly eight or more, prior to the meal. While a BM just after supper, lunch, breakfast, or a snack may be connected to the fact that you just ate (likely a connection to muscle relaxation or some other bodily function), it is not connected to the meal.

How do You Cure Bowel Movements Just After Eating a Meal?

Persistent bowel movements immediately after eating can be addressed by shifting the rhythm of your bowel movement cycle. Try stooling at different times in the day if there is a specific meal BM that you are trying to avoid. Clenching your anal sphincter just after a meal is another way to avoiding stooling after eating, but depending on what you’re doing, may or may not be effective.

I don't believe it's due to your prior surgery 30 years ago. If your symptoms persist, I would recommend seeing a gastroenterologist regarding your concerns. Take care, and I wish you well, Dr. Davidson
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These bowel movements normally happen in the morning after breakfast. It does not matter what I eat for breakfast and there will normall be a bowel movement within 5 to 10 min after eating. There may be as many as 3 or 4 movements within 30 to 45 min after eating. This normally happens 3 or 4 times a week. These are normally loose bowel movements and I really need to be close to a bathroom and normally there is no stopping the movements. This is really a problem when we are trying to travel.
I can understand your concern. It may be beneficial to take fiber supplements to firm up your stool, which would also slow things down a bit. When stool is formed too quickly, it often takes the form of loose stools, which may account for your symptoms as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was told by a pharmacist this could possible have to do with the colon being full because of having no gallbladder. In your opinion could this be part of the problem. Do you have a specefic fiber supplement suggestion?
There are complications associated with gallbladder removal. However, this is usually not due to a large intestine full of food. Rather, it is a function of the body's inability to break down high fat foods. Bile, the major byproduct of the gallbladder, is required to assist with breaking down high fat foods. When the gallbladder is removed, it is more difficult for the body to break down these foods. This contributes to a diarrhea on occasion. However it would not contribute to the sensation of an urgent bowel movement soon after eating. Therefore, I would recommend a fiber supplement like Metamucil to improve your stools. Take care, Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology