Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

I have a pain emanating from my right hip rear back and groin

I have a pain emanating from my right hip rear back and groin area. comes and goes.Not all the time. Up until now it didn't bother me to stand or walk. It started about 3 weeks ago when lying on my sides or sitting down trying to cross either of my legs. When I cross my right leg over my left leg it causes what appears to be muscle or bone pain. Also if i cross my left leg over right knee pain emanates frorm knee area and thigh muscles and down calf muscle of the right leg, possibly ciculatory pain or nerve pain. I can'tt tell which.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

This pain is entirely down the back of the leg, like this:

buttock, into the back of the thigh, back of the knee, back of the calf to the foot?

Leaving the front of the thigh and shin spared?

Is this a similar pain on both legs?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No pain is topof knee,thigh,side to rear of calf. I'm thinging vascular,or nerve no pai usually when walking or sitting up till now. Now depending on whatever it sometimes hurts when sitting.Not buttock rear back right side inside right groin area near above genitals- some sort of cord tissue in that area.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

OK.

When you have pain in those areas you describe, the thigh, the calf, the groin area -- in both legs -- and aggravated by stretching (e.g. crossing the legs) -- this seems to be related to nerve pains.

These nerves start out in the lumbar spine, and when stretched (as you are doing when crossing the legs) could be the cause for your pains. Different nerves innervate different areas of your spine, so the upper lumbar nerves could be responsible for the hip and groin area of pains, while the lower lumbar can be responsible for the thigh and calf.

So, the most helpful thing here would be to get an exam by your doctor. They would likely order a MRI of the lumbar spine for further evaluation to rule out things like "lumbar stenosis" or a herniated disc in your lower lumbar spine - which can cause symptoms as you describe.